GreaseSpot Cafe

Texas

Goey

I suppose we could make it an Italian bbq. :dance: Brisket is a good thing, because it can be made ahead of time, and is easy to serve. By the way, dooj, I do have double ovens here, which will help. :wink2:

And of course we should have at least one Ro-tel dish, in honor of our Yankee friends, who've never experienced the greatness of Ro-tel. :spy:

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok here's what I'm thinking -

there are about 3 meals that we need to plan for -

1. The BBQ

2. The meal before or after (depending on when we want to eat the BBQ - I'm figuring we need to have it in the evening so that everyone gets there and has time to settle in. So we need a meal to welcome people with - light and tasty.

3. Breakfast to get everyone on the road.

Then theres the noshing that people love to do while they talk and chat and have a great time.

Drinks! We need something t drink!

Oh - George please tell The Countess that her paotato salad will be greatly appreciated as will The Strange One's "She That Must Be Obeyed's" pico de gallo.

Basically, RumRunner and I are wanting to trade some recipes - so if he gets to come I'm hoping that he will help prepare the meals that Tommy Boy doesn't want to mess with.

Hey! Are we gonna teach these folks the proper way to two-step?

Edited by doojable

well... the food commitee (dooj and I) haven't gotten together yet but... I'm thinking... we're not calling it the "Texas Italian Food Gathering" are we?

We're in Texas. I'm Italian (and I CAN COOK!) I figure that we will make th big meal the Texas BBQ thingy (btw - Ex10's hubby wants to take care of the brisket. That leaves you and I to coordinate the "fixin's", Tom.

Beer, Margaritas, Beer (LOL)

Potato salad

Chips chips chips

Hot sauce and Hotter sauce

But this is just one meal. What about a big ole pot of Minestrone and real homemade Italian bread. If you insist, I can make chili - just thought I'd do something different for a change. (Something that is easy to make for a bunch and doesn't have to be eaten "RIGHT NOW" so to speak.

Then there's the now Infamous Cheesecake Contest.

I'm all up for suggestions....

Tom share your ideas -you can find me in chat or PM me or pm me and I'll send you my phone number and we can really talk.

Breakfast - Ideas anyone?

Breakfast - Ideas anyone?

Beer, with Ro-tel, and V-8 juice!! Spice it up!!! :beer:

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

(sorry -- jest messing with ya!)

Breakfast would be a good time to introduce pork ---

as in Ham and Eggs, or Bacon and Eggs.

Keep the *pork* in the frying pan, where it belongs. ;)

And Bisquick pancakes. :)

Its gotta be tacos.

You mean "migas" those wonderful little make your own tacos with eggs. potatoes. cheese, and salsa?

And my point about us being in Texas was that since we are in Texas - well then it can't help but be a texas BBQ. That doesn't mean that we have to serve only Texan and Tex-mex food - does it?

Edited by doojable

And what time is breakfast Sunday AM

Crack of dawn or brunchish?

Well --- fellowship starts at 10:30, so the earlier the better!!

Bring your latest copy of the way mag, so you can follow along with the *teaching*.

(Remember --- be at least 10 minutes early.) :nono5:

(DUCKINGGGGGG!!)

:biglaugh:

Edited by dmiller

Bring your latest copy of the way mag, so you can follow along with the *teaching*.

(DUCKINGGGGGG!!)

:biglaugh:

:nono5::evilshades::evildenk::spy:

Yo Dave - let's make this whole shebang real easy - Telephone Hook-Up ! :)

If the invitations are still open, I'd like to attend, with my better half, Deborah. What can we bring? beer, chips, salsa, dessert?

JBarrax - I'd say one or all of the above - except dessert. RmRunner and I are having a grand cheesecake competition - and I'm gonna win. Now if you don't like cheesecake - you might want to bring some dessert.

Seriously, Let us know what you want to bring and we'll plan accordingly.

As a warm-up for the Nov. festivities, I'd like to invite you all to the 18th annual "Thank God I'm not a Pig" roast at Quintana Beach Park (near Freeport) on Saturday, Oct. 14, from noon to 5 PM. As always, music will be provided by the "Porkestra" (the Lake Jackson Traditional Jazz Band), and there will be games for the kids, including the "Pigyata." Ex10 might be the only one close enough (Quintana is 60 mi. south of Houston), but let me know if you'd like to come, and I'll send directions. (The affair is free, though there will be a jar for donations to the Brazoria County Youth Homes.)

George

:dance:

P.S. The theme this year is "Pigs on a Plane."

A Kolache is a pastry filled with meat or cheese - I know that some of the best come from West, TX. I believe they are Czech.

I keep saying that the Texas refers to the LOCATION - and doesn't have to limit our food choices. It's a Texas BBQ because we are BBQ-ing and WE ARE IN TEXAS.

Don't be so literal - Let your right brains roam free and get outside of that Texas box.

Edited by doojable

Hey jaylawt, good point about the kolaches. David, kolaches are pastries with a dab of fruit or cream cheese on top...it's a Czech thing. I hardly ever go on I-45, but frequently head south on I-35 and the Czech town of West has a place that is a must-stop for gas and snacks. I'll have to do a bit of research to see if there is a good Czech bakery on the way to the Woodlands and if there is, T-Bone and I can pick up some of them for part of Sunday's breakfast.

Speaking of food, what is barbeque without cole slaw? We can bring that plus other stuff...

David I keep meaning to tell you that you're welcome to stay overnight at our place on your way down.

We are really looking forward to meeting the Sudo-Suda's and Bagpipes and all the rest of you cafe dudes and dude-etts.