For Music Lovers

polar bear

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RG- thanks for those great tunes.

I love Clapton.

Act2-Thanks for the Steve Holly tune. He is great. Love Allan Jackson-did he do "It's 5 Oclock Somewhere"? I played that at a music gig last week and folks went nuts over it.

Let me know when your bluegrass festival is and we might come down. I love that stuff.

[Act2-Thanks for the Steve Holly tune. He is great. Love Allan Jackson-did he do "It's 5 Oclock Somewhere"? I played that at a music gig last week and folks went nuts over it.

Let me know when your bluegrass festival is and we might come down. I love that stuff.

polar bear, our free bluegrass festival is in August. The ROMP festival in Owensboro is in June, I think. I will look up the exact dates and post later. Also, it is Steve HOLY, yes, as in holy, holy, holy !!!!

And yes, Alan Jackson does 'it's 5 oclock somewhere' and I bet the crowd went nuts!!!

Here is Alan singing at the Grand Ole Opry last month.

Bluegrass in the Park Folklife Festival

Get Ready for the 22nd Annual Bluegrass in the Park Folklife Festival !

We are pleased to announce that Bluegrass in the Park Folklife Festival will be held on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, August 9 - 11, 2007, in Audubon Mill Park, Henderson, Kentucky.

This will mark the 22nd annual festival which is hosted by the Henderson Area Arts Alliance and the Henderson Rotary Club.

The festival will feature great Bluegrass music, wonderful food, an incredible location - right on the banks of the Ohio River - folklife exhibitors, children's activities, a tennis tournament, a bicycle tour, and much, much more.

Best of all, there is no admission charge! That’s right – all you have to do to be thoroughly entertained is “show up.” Bring your lawn chairs or your blanket – we’re not much on formality – then be prepared to be entertained by some of the most preeminent Bluegrass bands you will ever have the pleasure to hear. Bluegrass music and the smell of great food saturate the air on Friday and Saturday (August 10-11), but………

There’s more! On Thursday night, August 9, join us for our kickoff event -- Fiesta in the Park. You’ll hear some great Texas Swing, in the fashion of Bob Wills - pick a partner and dance the two-step! And you’ll get a smattering of the exciting sounds of authentic Mexican Mariachi music. To top it off, there will be a delicious Tex-Mex BBQ with all the trimmings!

Not enough? Well, how about……

Fascinating Kentucky Folklife displays, artisans, luthiers, activities, lectures, and musicians on Saturday morning.

Breakfast in the Park on Saturday morning.

The Pickin & Pedalin Bicycle Tour on Saturday.

Children’s activities Thursday evening and again Saturday morning.

Bluegrass Hat Tennis Tournament.

Mark your calendar! Plan your trip! You won't find a better Bluegrass event anywhere, and you sure can't beat our price.

We invite you to Henderson, Kentucky to experience and enjoy it all with us! See you here!

Cadillac Sky Ft. Worth, Texas [Profile/Bio]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Peterson & 1946 Nashville, Tennessee [Profile/Bio]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carrie Hassler & Hard Rain Crossville, Tennessee [Profile/Bio]

Kickin' Grass Raleigh, North Carolina [Profile/Bio]

Wildfire Lexington, Kentucky [Profile/Bio]

Timberline Drive Boonville, Indiana [Profile/Bio]

The Blind Corn Liquor Pickers Lexington, Kentucky [Profile/Bio]

River City Bluegrass Evansville, Indiana [Profile/Bio]

King's Highway Henderson, Kentucky [Profile/Bio]

John England & the Western Swingers Nashville, Tennessee [Profile/Bio]

Mariachi Estrella Indianapolis, Indiana [Profile/Bio]

Keith Vincent Henderson, Kentucky [Profile/Bio]

polar bear, let me know if you are interested, ok???

International Bluegrass Music Museum

Bluegrass Museum, Yellow Creek Park and the RiverPark Center

Owensboro, Kentucky

Early Bird Special

Click Here to Buy Tickets!

Thursday, June 21, 2007

At the Museum 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Wade & Julia Mainer

Timberline Drive

RiverBottom Bluegrass Band

Kings Highway

Ally White & Reynolds Station

Grandview Junction

Mountain Harmony

Sandy Creek

The Legends Concert, Cannon Hall - RiverPark Center

Tim O'Brien, Host

Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver

Berline Crary Hickman

Mike Seeger

Dismembered Tennesseans

Don Rigsby and Special Guest

Friday, June 22, 2007

At the Museum - 9:00 AM - Noon

Bluegrass Masters Educational Forum

Toru Mitsui, Lecture

Lunch break as performances move to Yellow Creek Park

At Yellow Creek Park - 1:00 PM - Midnight

Farewell Drifters

The Grascals

Berline Crary Hickman

Michael Cleveland and the Flamekeeper Band w/Audie Blaylock

Lonesome River Band

Foghorn String Band

Dan Paisley & Southern Grass

Butch Waller & High Country

Saturday, June 23, 2007

At Yellow Creek Park - 9:00 AM - Midnight

Breakfast will be available

Marty Stuart & The Fabulous Superlatives

Del McCoury Band

Hazel Dickens

Jesse McReynolds & The Virginia Boys

Adrienne Young & Little Sadie

Cadillac Sky

Professors of Bluegrass

Jake Quesenberry & Friends

Blue Moon Rising

Persimmon Sisters

Wade & Julia Mainer

Sweetgrass

KY Bluegrass AllStars

International Acts TBA

Bluegrass Masters Film Festival

The Legends Concert

New Museum Exhibits

Hall of Honor Unveiling

Hey, Chatty girl,

Go to my post and check out all the musicians that will be in my hometown and O'boro.

polar bear, both are great fun, but ours is FREE !!!

RG, I posted the low carb pizza in the kitchen thread just for you. Hubby said it was delicious.

Did someone mention John Prine. I love that guy. Love that song Le'ts talk dirty in Hawiian. You can hear it if you go to youtube and type that name in. Unfortunately they don't allow sharing of that song.

I play it for boat cruises. I'm looking for other fun songs like this, does anyone know of any? Doesn't have to be John Prine but Dear Abby is a good one too. Also I'm looking for good singalong songs like Alice's Restaurant, Cover of the Rolling Stone etc. Anyone know any?

Edited by polar bear

Someone asked for a Rankin Family song. Here it is, it's not a great version the cd version is much better. When this song was first put on the radio people from all over were calling into the radio station crying and asking who it was.If anyone wants a copy of their first CD which is their best let me know and I can probably dig one up somewhere.They are from Cape Breton, their music is very celtic. I'll try to find a more upbeat one too. Where's Ala.

Edited by polar bear

Did someone mention John Prine. I love that guy. Love that song Le'ts talk dirty in Hawiian. You can hear it if you go to youtube and type that name in. Unfortunately they don't allow sharing of that song.

I play it for boat cruises. I'm looking for other fun songs like this, does anyone know of any? Doesn't have to be John Prine but Dear Abby is a good one too. Also I'm looking for good singalong songs like Alice's Restaurant, Cover of the Rolling Stone etc. Anyone know any?

Hey there, PB

Here're a couple that are not really sing-a-long but involve audience participation.

The first one is "Rocky Top". There is a line in it that goes "trapped like a duck in a pen" to which the audience loudly responds "QUACK,QUACK". Maybe it's a local thing here but the bands usually "prime" the crowd.

The other one is "Mojo Workin"

When it gets to the chorus and the singer says" Got my mojo workin", the audience responds each time.

I went to a blues festival with a buddy of mine a few years ago and when the song was played(Sam Lay, if I remember right) we jumped up and shouted the response parts. Little did we know that the audience was mostly newbies and we were pretty much the only ones responding. It made it all the more fun.

Great thread – what a great idea – thanks everybody! Speaking of John Prine – Tonto turned me on to his music awhile back – love it! A favorite tune of ours is In Spite of Ourselves on his CD of the same name. It’s a duet he sings with Iris DeMent [a sweet voice] – the words are hilarious:

In Spite of Ourselves by John Prine

She don’t like her eggs all runny

She thinks crossin’ her legs is funny

She looks down her nose at money

She gets it on like the Easter Bunny

She’s my baby

I’m her honey

I’m never gonna let her go

He ain’t got laid in a month of Sundays

I caught him once sniffin’ my undies

He ain’t real sharp but he gets things done

He drinks his beer like it’s oxygen

He’s my baby

I’m his honey

I’m never gonna let him go

Chorus:

In spite of ourselves

We’ll end up sittin’ on a rainbow

Against all odds

Honey, we’re the big door prize

We’re gonna spite the noses right off of our faces

There won’t be nothin’ but big old hearts

Dancin’ in our eyes

She thinks all my jokes are corny

Convict movies make her horny

She likes ketchup on her scrambled eggs

Swears like a sailor when she shaves her legs

She takes a lickin’

And keeps on tickin’

I’m never gonna let her go

He’s got more ba11s than a big brass monkey

He’s a whacked out weirdo and a lovebug junkie

Sly as a fox and crazy as a loon

Payday comes and he’s howlin’ at the moon

He’s my baby

I don’t mean maybe

I’m never gonna let him go

Chorus

Waterbuffalo, talk your hubby into coming down. Just let me know and I can hook you up with reservation info etc.www.myspace.com/trampula will tell you all about O'boro Bluegrass Museum and the ROMP!!!!!!

Thanks, Rainbow Girl and Act2. We are thinking about it. Your husband's band is gooooood! Want us to bring the Martin if we can make it?

Another note, enjoy - The Cat does it - can I make this my theme song? - love this tune and it's smooth grind.

my gawd, socks, is that you??? you ain't changed a bit!

I saw a brief mention of Iris DeMent, one of my very favorite real deal country style singers .

On her album, "My Life", she does an amazingly powerful cover of the Mother Maybelle Carter tune, "Troublesome Waters".

My technical abilities are a bit limited so I will post some of the lyrics.

When troublesome waters are rollin' so high

I lift up my voice and to heaven I cry

Lord I am trustin', give guidance to me

And steady my boat on life's troubled sea

Then gently I'm feelin'the touch of his hand

Guiding my boat in safely to land

Leading the way to heaven's bright shore

Where troublesome waters I'm fearing no more.

Edited by waysider