GreaseSpot Cafe

It's not much of a "joyful noise" anymore....

Jim

The endless smile plastered on the face just always gets me. I can remember when they were really pushing the whole smiling while you sing in fellowship thing. Of course there was plenty of reproof for anyone not smiling enough or acting excited enough to be there.

Didn't Way Productions really start going downhill when LCM made a new standard that you had to be Corp to be in Way Productions? It seemed like they lost a lot of talent after that.

When I was a kid my dad played the guitar in fellowship. That actually made it enjoyable. Then in the heavy legalism years leadership got really into the whole song leading aspect (remember being given the little practice sheets with counts and hand motions on them?), which made singing in fellowship suck pretty bad... wasn't exactly much of a draw for new people either.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

vp was the one who championed Wa* Pro*uctio*s from the very beginning. The other trustees and many in the cabinet thought it was a waste of money and time, and were satisfied with the old fashioned piano and organ stuff. Of course, once it became clear that using more contemporary music attracted people to take the class, they changed their tune and acted like they were supporters all along. That was the whole, sole purpose for WP...to make the ministry money.

It was always an uphill battle being a performer/writer/dancer because everything had to be "approved" before it could be used. The restrictions were stifling. Creativity was never important, but cleverness was. You know, like how many different ways can TWI doctrine be expressed in lyrics. vp fancied himself to be quite the authority on music and lyrics, and would frequently "correct" lyrics in such a way that the song became bland and lifeless...just like his life.

And focus on any one individual was avoided at all costs. Singers that were exceptionally talented and could attracted much attention to the ministry, were kept away from becoming too popular. Personally, I think vp was afraid of being upstaged, and was afraid of loosing control...but he sure did love taking credit for the whole shebang! You would not believe the torturous face meltings WP endured at his hands behind the scenes, for the most ridiculous reasons...often because the performance was "off the Word". But he NEVER could explain what that meant! :angry:

Joyful Noise was not that joyful. <_<

I'd rather watch a leaf blow down my street than watch this stuff.

There was only one person who looked like she might actually be enjoying life. They rest all looked like they were afraid to move.

And the dresses are just pitiful. One of the "ensembles" looks like someone pulled down the curtains and just stitched up the sides like a sack.

I can't imagine being on staff and sitting through something like this week after week. It would make Chinese water torture sound like the Boston Pops by comparison.

It was always an uphill battle being a performer/writer/dancer because everything had to be "approved" before it could be used. The restrictions were stifling. Creativity was never important, but cleverness was. You know, like how many different ways can TWI doctrine be expressed in lyrics. vp fancied himself to be quite the authority on music and lyrics, and would frequently "correct" lyrics in such a way that the song became bland and lifeless...just like his life.

It got far worse in the 90's under LCM. It started with Geer's directive not to do anything doctrinally new, but to review VP's stuff because we had all obviously "missed it" on the basics. People were afraid to do anything new, and certainly nothing "edgy". That carried over to every department at HQ.

The other aspect was that Craig's ego was such that he thought every word out of his own mouth was direct from God. So, instead of letting talented people come up with genuinely motivating and uplifting music, he directed the topics they were to compose music about. And it is my understanding that if you were full time way prod, you had a quota of songs to write. That kind of production-line mentality doesn't usually translate into spiritual inspiration or genuine creativity.

Well, Highway, I seem to remember something about "a house divided against itself". Ge*r and loy. What a couple of bozos!

Seems WP, under loys astute iron hand, was been driven into the ground and has never recovered. To bad TWI never noticed Psalms was poetry...God's contribution to the arts. :)

Personally, I think Father likes music!...He sure refers to it often enough in the bible.

Yes. The Father does love music. In fact, ALL of the music should be directed in praise and worship to Him. Isnt that why music was invented?

I thought I read in another thread that BG Leonard called TAKIT music the music of Baal.

Thank God for His grace and mercy in our lives for we all have fallen short.

Yes, thank God for His grace and mercy in our lives for we all have...uuhhhh....been seated in the heavenlies, set free from bondage, made sons of God Almighty, joint heirs with Jesus Christ....and the list goes on and on!!! THAT's worth singin' and dancin' about!! Dogone it! Fire up them fiddles and banjers and lets have a good old fashioned HOE DOWN for the Lord!! Kick up our heals and thank the Lord!!! YEEHAAAWW!!! :jump:

if anyone's wondering where twi is at these days, play that for them!

yikes! lawrence welk had more soul!

sounds to me like they ought to re-write that old book, and re-name it "The Way: Living in Fear," 'cause they're obviously scared of that old devil and his devil music.

Okay, I got the giggles over that Sprawled Out!

I was taught in TWI that music was originally made to appease the devil spirits.... Did anyone else hear this?

I'm not so sure I heard it actually "taught" but I remember being "told" about this.

This was supposedly part of why Psalms was written. We used to make up impromtu music and sing the Psalms. Not to appease the devil spirits but because we tried to imagine what they (Psalms) might have been like originally.

Music has charms to soothe the savage breast

To soften rocks or bend a knotted oak----------

from "The Mourning Bride" by Wm. Congreve(17th century)

I was taught in TWI that music was originally made to appease the devil spirits.... Did anyone else hear this?

Genesis 4:4:20-22 (KJV)

"20And Adah bare Jabal: he was the father of such as dwell in tents, and of such as have cattle.

21And his brother's name was Jubal: he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ.

22And Zillah, she also bare Tubalcain, an instructer of every artificer in brass and iron: and the sister of Tubalcain was Naamah."

The first musician-and the first formal music, QED,

was back in Genesis 4:21.

Without any record of the songs played or sung,

the only basis for making ANY comments on Jubal's music is either

"genuine spiritual suspicion" or "grand bs",

but I repeat myself.

Heck, they should get the Women of Faith singers. Give me Casting Crowns, Newsboys, Rebecca St. James, Don Moen, Bill Gaither, Ted Ferrell, Brian Bliss, Dean Ellenwood, Good Seed, Pressed Down, Paul Vergilio, Johann Sebastian Bach, Paul Manz, Paul Weber, Donald Busarow, anyone but these poor excuses for musicians. Put them out of their misery now!

Heck, they should get the Women of Faith singers. Give me Casting Crowns, Newsboys, Rebecca St. James, Don Moen, Bill Gaither, Ted Ferrell, Brian Bliss, Dean Ellenwood, Good Seed, Pressed Down, Paul Vergilio, Johann Sebastian Bach, Paul Manz, Paul Weber, Donald Busarow, anyone but these poor excuses for musicians. Put them out of their misery now!

(maybe I misunderstand)

I'm not a muscian myself, but I don't think putting down the people on stage is appropriate. Reason being there's probably a lot of untapped talent on that stage. It's not the people on stage who are reasponsible for the music (well, most are not). I bet under different circumstances they could be a lot more inspiring. (i.e. in a different church) twi has talent for suppressing talent and "creativity" (gasp! he said "create"! :biglaugh:)

But still. . . :confused::sleep1:

:)

Edited by Bolshevik

(maybe I misunderstand)

I'm not a muscian myself, but I don't think putting down the people on stage is appropriate. Reason being there's probably a lot of untapped talent on that stage. It's not the people on stage who are reasponsible for the music (well, most are not). I bet under different circumstances they could be a lot more inspiring. (i.e. in a different church) twi has talent for suppressing talent and "creativity" (gasp! he said "create"! :biglaugh:)

On the one hand, the talent pool is incredibly shallow.

On the other hand, those who CAN be found must work under draconian conditions and incredible amounts

of micromanagement by people with no background in media or entertainment whatsoever.

Is there ANY chance any REAL entertainment could survive such a killing field?

(maybe I misunderstand)

Nice point, Bolshie (Can I call you that?). I pray that every one of these talented musicians get the opportunity and freedom to release their God-given talents in a godly environment.

On the other hand, those who CAN be found must work under draconian conditions and incredible amounts

of micromanagement by people with no background in media or entertainment whatsoever.

Is there ANY chance any REAL entertainment could survive such a killing field?

Speaking of............................

This is how it goes........

Rosie sits in the screening room (whatever its called) and analyzes all the hairstyles. Yup , hair styles.

Ever notice they all have the same haircut???

If someone has long hair, it HAS to be pulled back and smooooooothed out.

Can't have them looking like ''individuals'' up there now.

What really saddens me, is their ''job'' should be to lead ''PRAISE AND WORSHIP" to GOD,

NOT in entertaining us.

Too bad for the TWI crowds....they don't get either.

Every time I hear one, I just wanna.................

post-1468-1177614336.gif

Can you say, "tent dress"?

~vomit.jpg

Those are the same outfits they've been wearing since day one. It's just tired, uninspiring music and presentation. Music and artistic expression in general just doesn't fit into the little "God box" they try to force everything into.