GreaseSpot Cafe

It's not much of a "joyful noise" anymore....

Jim

http://www.theway.org/Current/Pentecost/Fl...ecostFlash2.htm

What's with the bad synth? I remember Steve Abella coming back from a TWI music workshop and telling us that electronic music was not acceptable. He seemed amused when I told him that the Hammond organ that Rhoda played was technically a synthesizer.

I guess I won't be going back any time soon for the music.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Strange Brew there Jim.

There's no accounting for the instrumentation, that I can see. It might sound better in the auditorium itself but I doubt it. There's a lack of body and depth to the sound. Some of that's due to the fact that there's no bass or lower register instrument(s) playing that part of the music, it's being handled by the piano and keyboard instruments. If it's being played it's not coming through. The arrangements will lack power with nothing being written or played for the lower range. Even the drummer seems to be light footed on the bass pedal.

I've noticed that in the vide-ohs that they've put up - there's no rhythm section to speak of. It's pretty much a small choir sound with piano and a drummer pattering around that doesn't really need to be there. The poor guy on guitar is bridled to that "power' chord sound whenever he's heard. It's kind of - weird to be sure.

I suspect there's a serious lack of talent to draw from. Aside from that, it seems the "music" is being kept in a "safe zone".

Very choir-like, not contemporary at all, and songs who's arrangements wouldn't require anything but the most minimal of instrumentation.

The melodys seem rather depressing to me...no spark, no life, no excitement...just statements reflecting the doctrine which are forced into

song form. So sad and lifeless. <_<

Gimme Good Seed, or Pressed Down....SOMETHING with some FIRE in it!!! :D

Sounds like where Christian "praise" music was, back around the early 80s. Back when it was playing to our parents more than to our generation. The evangelical movement has gone way past that since.

Most of the TWIers still there are baby boomers, I'd suppose. So what's with the old stuff?

I'd rather hear a girl singing a fold song and strumming 3 chords on a guitar, but with heart, than this stuff.

TWI started out appealing to the youth. Now they don't appeal to anyone. I mean - No kid would say, "Heck Ya! I want to bring my friends to this concert."

Isn't it striking that a ministry the started out wanting to eschew all things religious has become just another church? - and a B-rated one at that.

Jim, you've brought fear into the hearts of many here! :biglaugh:

The synth's do sound thin, cheesey. I'm not sure what instruments they're trying to produce. It's sort of a "synth" wash or something.

Does anybody know what's driving this? What the goal is? How did the music get to this point? Who writes this stuff? Does someone take anything that sounds like an actual "song", or that has a memorable theme and give it the axe?

They look like nice enough people. Decent folks. Hair's combed, all of that. But the style of music - it doesn't sound like anything. Not pop, not classical, not choral. Okay maybe choral but not good choral. Just a lineup of average voices singing in unison with the odd harmonies thrown in to a stale melody and an unispired arrangement to a progression that sounds like it's a homework assignment in first semester composition. Can't anyone sing their tushy off there anymore? Play with passion?

This stuff always befuddles me. Play the root, drop down a 7th, up a minor 3rd, up a 4th, hit the 2 and go, inevitably, to the 5th. And do it again. And smile. :)

There's no craft, no insipiration, no creativity, no unique or memorable expression of what is surely a deep committment to seriously held beliefs. Nothing to indicate that even a drop of inspiration has fallen from the brow of any of the participants.

It's weird.

Jim, Steve Abella - I do miss him.

Okay, this has once and for all confirmed the astounding revelation to me -exceedingly above and beyond all that past 'Marxist Minstrel' propaganda that was drummed into us: The Beatles were of God.

I still have an old Casiotone which can make those same drum noises. I used to feed it through an old digital delay unit, which provided some interesting f/x.

My cheap Casiotone never sounded better.

Ah, hints of Rush's "2112" - guitars have been banned in this strange new world.

The folks on the stage are certainly waxing old.

Where the hell are the kids?

Shouldn't these fogies shuffle aside, and let the younger generation to get up there and take their creative turn in the spotlight?

They must be garrisoned in the basement, having been sentenced to only making macaroni pictures.

Edited by TheInvisibleDan

The folks on the stage are certainly waxing old.

Where the hell are the kids?

Shouldn't these fogies shuffle aside, and let the younger generation to get up there and take their creative turn in the spotlight?

They must be garrisoned in the basement, having been sentenced to only making macaroni pictures.

There's a few in their twenties, maybe early thirties at most. Lindsay Linder, The Stutz's and others.

:biglaugh: Some are young but in the past yew years have started to look 2-3 times there age.

A reflection of spiritual maturity? :evildenk:

Edited by Bolshevik

I just listened to what I think were the first two choruses - WOW Thats Bad, and I don't mean Bad in a good way. Thats BAD!

Could you imagine witnessing to someone and bringing them to your church and have that group stand up front and sing? Oh No. I'm not gonna go to church with you.

God bless you all and I hope your healing from hearing that song starts right now.