GreaseSpot Cafe

Comparing VPW to historical figures

waysider

The pharacees that Jesus condemned at the temple.

He was polished up on the outside, presenting a facade of spirituality and wholesomeness. A man that had all of the answeres to life and Godliness. In reality, he was using the respect garnered as God`s representative to steal from people in the name of God.

Oh..oh ..OH...can I change my answere???

EVE!!! I wanna say EVE!!!

Just like Eve....VPW asked us did God REALLY say thus and such...got us questioning what we knew of God...cause of COURSE we had all been taught wrongly in the churches.....He got us to consider that we didn`t really have to follow God`d instructions...man, this is the grace administration don` cha know?? He told us that the forbidden fruit was good, we can drink like fish, smoke like chimneys, screw like bunnies, whomever, wherever, whenever, whether they are willing or not, and abort any potentially embarrassing evidence....without suffering any repercussions, because all we had to do was *believe* for everything to be ok. He fooled us into partaking of his sin....

We followed him away from God.

Edited by rascal

Given the opportunity to compare VPW to various historical figures, who would you choose and why?

Oh, you can really run with this one.

Compared to:

Napolean - same complex - a little taller.

Freud - similar views - everything is about sex drive

Pope John Paul II - less pure

Jimmy Carter - similar impact - say you're a Christian, then screw everything up

Attila the Hun - shared views on women

Samson.

Had a thing about women.

Eventually brought the house down on top of himself.

Well, maybe not. That maligns Samson too much !

Damn Geo beat me to it...

If not Barnum then Elmer Gantry

From Wiki Link:

....a young, narcissistic, womanizing college athlete who, upon realizing the power, prestige, and easy money that being an evangelical preacher can bring, pursues his "religious" ambitions with relish, contributing to the downfall, even death, of key people around him as the years pass. Gantry continues to womanize, is often exposed as a fraud, and frequently faces a complete downfall, yet he is never fully discredited and always manages to emerge triumphant ....

Given the opportunity to compare VPW to various historical figures, who would you choose and why?

I'd compare him to Semon Dye in Caldwell's Journeyman..

He womanized, drank, cursed and cheated the men out of their money and goods..

I know, he was a fictional character. But Caldwell drew his character likely from his own experience.. before the economy was good enough that these sycophants could start their "ministry" and have poor dupes to bring money to them, some of them had to hit the road, and work the people in rural countrysides for sustenance..

Dear Nandon,

How about 2Ti 3:6-9 Note the consequences. I think that we're onto something here at the Greasespot!

(added in editing)

I think that in the scriptures there are a lot of condemnations on Dr.'s actions, in prophecies and commandment. My question right now is when to stop the list if we started one.

And to get back on track,

Aaron's sons who were destroyed for lighting a strange fire in the Lord's name. I mean if he was just another scumbag abuser of women that would be one thing, but the sicko actually justified it with the scriptures.

HE MADE IT CHURCH DOCTRINE!!!! !#@%$&*!!!

Edited by JeffSjo

definitely Elmer Gantry for VPW. As for LCM, Jim Jones and/or David Koresh.

Herbert W. Armstrong. From what I've read and heard from ex members of his Worldwide Church of God, it was as legalistic to its people and corrupt at its center as The Way International. It also splintered into offshoot groups after Armstrong's death just like TWI.

Herbert W. Armstrong. From what I've read and heard from ex members of his Worldwide Church of God, it was as legalistic to its people and corrupt at its center as The Way International. It also splintered into offshoot groups after Armstrong's death just like TWI.

My mama used to listen to "The World Tomorrow" broadcasts and take "The Plain Truth" mag so subsequently I ended up getting some of their literature when I was in college, but paid no attention to it.

All I remember was there was some scandal involving Garner Ted over womanizing. It seemed like Garner Ted had a lot in common with LCM. Evidently, Garner Ted is still preaching, tho.

Until your post, Mark, I hadn't thought about them in decades. Now that I think about it, when I was sorta active in the Methodist church in my pre TWI days, I remember everyone in the church was into some other outside group that, ostensibly, offered them unique insights into certain things not found in the ordinary church setting. Some got Armstrong literature while others got stuff from Oral Roberts etc. etc. etc. It seems that everyone I knew back then had some sort of peripheral "cult" involvement.

Sheesh, that sure dredged up some ghosts from the past LOL

My mama used to listen to "The World Tomorrow" broadcasts and take "The Plain Truth" mag so subsequently I ended up getting some of their literature when I was in college, but paid no attention to it.

All I remember was there was some scandal involving Garner Ted over womanizing. It seemed like Garner Ted had a lot in common with LCM. Evidently, Garner Ted is still preaching, tho.

Until your post, Mark, I hadn't thought about them in decades. Now that I think about it, when I was sorta active in the Methodist church in my pre TWI days, I remember everyone in the church was into some other outside group that, ostensibly, offered them unique insights into certain things not found in the ordinary church setting. Some got Armstrong literature while others got stuff from Oral Roberts etc. etc. etc. It seems that everyone I knew back then had some sort of peripheral "cult" involvement.

Sheesh, that sure dredged up some ghosts from the past LOL

Actually Garner Ted died in 2003, and his son, Mark Armstrong, has continued as the leader of his father's organization, the Intercontinental Church of God. Here are a couple of links to stories about him:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article....RTICLE_ID=34620

http://www.rickross.com/reference/wwchurch/wwchurch7.html

Apparently Garner Ted (Herbert W. Armstrong's son), after serving in the Worldwide Church of God, was kicked out for various reasons including sexual immorality. He started his own ministry, the Church of God International, but later was forced out by its elders over further sexual misconduct. He then started the Intercontinental Church of God, which his son is continuing.

Meanwhile Herbert W's Worldwide Church of God went through changes after his death, and is now more "mainstream" in its teaching and practices. But a number of splinter groups have been formed to preserve Armstrong's doctrines.

http://www.wcg.org/lit/aboutus/history.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwide_Church_of_God

Some of the parallels with TWI are interesting. But rather than condemn LCM, I think VPW would have been proud of him. "Hold 'er high, son!"

And the thing about WWCG going "mainstream" is amazing! Can you imagine The Way turning away from VP's doctrine and becoming mainstream?

No question - P.T. Barnum...

Which inspires a little plagiarism of the Beatles:

For the benefit of Mr. Vic

There will be a class tonight on TV Screens.

The graduates must all be there

Instructor yells at folks out of chair – what a scene!

Over men and women he pulls the wool

The fake snowstorm will bury you – what a liar!

In this way Mr. Vic will challenge the world!

Edited by T-Bone