Jump to content
GreaseSpot Cafe

Recommended Posts

Cult leader pleads guilty sex charges

Many here have followed this story from before legal sexual assault charges were even filed. Several of our members have posted first-hand stories of their experiences with Victor Barnard.

Today Barnard pled guilty to 2 of the 59 charges and will be sentenced on Oct 28th to 30 years in prison.

Edited by HAPe4me
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hallelujah glory to ya!

hearty congrats to Lindsay Tornambe! A true heroine for all women and girls who have suffered at the hands of malignant, paranoid narcissists in "Christian" clothing. He should be strung up by his mini-testicles and crapped on by hogs and nibbled by rats. Sorry, but that's how I feel! So should her "parents". [Moderator snip: Come on, DWBH!] May you receive all the "rewards" at the "bema" you deserve! 

Way to go Lindsay! Please forgive my heartfelt hyperbole. TY.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, the man has a compassionate streak: " Barnard pleaded guilty to two of 52 counts and agreed to upward departure. In court, Barnard said he wanted to spare the victims a trial."

Nah, he simply couldn't bear the thought of all the gory details about himself being exposed. 

30 years doesn't seem enough for the misery he's caused, but it'll probably mean the rest of his life.  Which may not be anything like 30 years.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Twinky said:

Hey, the man has a compassionate streak: " Barnard pleaded guilty to two of 52 counts and agreed to upward departure. In court, Barnard said he wanted to spare the victims a trial."

Nah, he simply couldn't bear the thought of all the gory details about himself being exposed. 

30 years doesn't seem enough for the misery he's caused, but it'll probably mean the rest of his life.  Which may not be anything like 30 years.

Yeah, they had him dead to rights. You might find it interesting to review this story from May 2015 when he had been captured by Brazilian police and somebody -- likely one or more of his followers -- hired a pair of defense attorneys who made it sound like VB actually could have a shot at being acquitted at trial.

" Barnard's attorneys say their goal is to strip the case of its most sensational elements, essentially making it Barnard's word against the two women who were once devoted followers."

Another possibility is that when VB's followers got an estimate on how much the legal fees actually would be, they thought better of it.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the newspaper article Rocky linked:

"I want to see him get a fair trial based on what did or didn't happen, not what his beliefs are, that's really important to me," Risk [defense attorney] said.

From SopUSA: "COMMENT: The age of consent, for sexual purposes, in Minnesota is 16-years-of-age. However, as is true in many states, if the actor (defendant) is in a “position of authority” over the person (minister, teacher, counselor, employer, etc.), the person must be 18. Criminal sexual conduct in the first degree is the most serious charge for such conduct in Minnesota. Multiple charges can be alleged for different acts at different times. Minnesota has “Sentencing Guidelines” in place which are intended to provide even justice for all offenders. The guideline sentence for criminal sexual conduct in the first degree is 144 months; however, in this case, there are at least two victims which would permit sentences for both. Moreover, a judge can sentence higher or lower than the recommended guidelines where there are compelling circumstances. The defendant is presumed to be innocent."

What did happen is: Barnard engaged in sexual conduct with UNDER AGE FEMALES and furthermore he purports to be a MINISTER (person in position of authority).  That's what "did or didn't happen" and his beliefs are totally irrelevant.  So what was Risk's point again???

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Twinky said:

From the newspaper article Rocky linked:

"I want to see him get a fair trial based on what did or didn't happen, not what his beliefs are, that's really important to me," Risk [defense attorney] said.

From SopUSA: "COMMENT: The age of consent, for sexual purposes, in Minnesota is 16-years-of-age. However, as is true in many states, if the actor (defendant) is in a “position of authority” over the person (minister, teacher, counselor, employer, etc.), the person must be 18. Criminal sexual conduct in the first degree is the most serious charge for such conduct in Minnesota. Multiple charges can be alleged for different acts at different times. Minnesota has “Sentencing Guidelines” in place which are intended to provide even justice for all offenders. The guideline sentence for criminal sexual conduct in the first degree is 144 months; however, in this case, there are at least two victims which would permit sentences for both. Moreover, a judge can sentence higher or lower than the recommended guidelines where there are compelling circumstances. The defendant is presumed to be innocent."

What did happen is: Barnard engaged in sexual conduct with UNDER AGE FEMALES and furthermore he purports to be a MINISTER (person in position of authority).  That's what "did or didn't happen" and his beliefs are totally irrelevant.  So what was Risk's point again???

His point was to make his audience believe he's a better defense attorney than he really is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did well at that, then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Link to Fox9 story with video in case embedding the video doesn't work.

Couldn't get the video embedded.

The lede paragraph in the Fox9 story:


Cult leader Victor Barnard pleaded guilty to sexual assault charges on Tuesday in Pine County, Minnesota. Barnard will spend 30 years in prison. Barnard pleaded guilty to two of 52 counts and agreed to upward departure.

Upward departure is a new term to me. Apparently, it refers to exceeding the sentencing guidelines. Clearly, he knew they had him dead to rights.

Edited by Rocky
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Victor plead guilty is to spare his followers from testifying.  If they hint at knowing or suspecting anything they could be next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome, MnMum.  You've chosen a dramatic and provocative thread for your first post :)

Enjoy your time at the Cafe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greetings Mnmom. Are you saying you think Barnard is martyring himself for the sake of his followers? It seems possible I suppose, and is one reason that has been raised by others. Perhaps their greatfulness will provide him with care packages in his new "commune".

I note the name you used registering here. It would seem you have some Minnesota connection? Do/did you have any direct contact with River Road? Any insight which you would care to share?

Does ANYONE reading this know the status of his cult? Who leads it now?

Did his successor inherit the remaining maidens?

Is there still a following up in Washington?

i know his wife filed for divorce (a bit late no doubt). What took her this long? Perhaps the lateness had something to do with protecting assets? I am not sure if that would work successfully but it is sometimes tried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, HAPe4me said:

Greetings Mnmom. Are you saying you think Barnard is martyring himself for the sake of his followers? It seems possible I suppose, and is one reason that has been raised by others. Perhaps their greatfulness will provide him with care packages in his new "commune".

I note the name you used registering here. It would seem you have some Minnesota connection? Do/did you have any direct contact with River Road? Any insight which you would care to share?

Does ANYONE reading this know the status of his cult? Who leads it now?

Did his successor inherit the remaining maidens?

Is there still a following up in Washington?

i know his wife filed for divorce (a bit late no doubt). What took her this long? Perhaps the lateness had something to do with protecting assets? I am not sure if that would work successfully but it is sometimes tried.

Not nor never have been associated with RRF or TWI.  I do have a personal connection, just trying to learn more about all this.  It still is unfolding for us.  Just would love prayers to continue handling this delicate situation.  As far as I know there are still devoted followers.  Just can't wrap my head around it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MnMom said:

Not nor never have been associated with RRF or TWI.  I do have a personal connection, just trying to learn more about all this.  It still is unfolding for us.  Just would love prayers to continue handling this delicate situation.  As far as I know there are still devoted followers.  Just can't wrap my head around it.

Thank you for your reply. I hope whatever personal connection you have to this story has a godly outcome.  There are a few threads here at GSC regarding RRF and Barnard, some started years ago. You should be able to find them by using the search feature. If you have trouble I will try and find them when I get some time.

Edited by HAPe4me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thankful this episode of Barnard's arrest and conviction is over! Justice seems to have been served, but, like everyone else here, my heart goes out to the victims and families and other injured folks involved.

Peace

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On October 11, 2016 at 10:13 PM, HAPe4me said:

Cult leader pleads guilty sex charges

Many here have followed this story from before legal sexual assault charges were even filed. Several of our members have posted first-hand stories of their experiences with Victor Barnard.

Today Barnard pled guilty to 2 of the 59 charges and will be sentenced on Oct 28th to 30 years in prison.

Yes!!!  I am so happy to hear this!! What a creep!!  I am so sorry for all of his victims!!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The latest on Barnard.

"Convicted cult leader Victor Barnard was violently assaulted Sunday night at the state prison in Rush City, Fox 9 has learned.

Barnard was taken by ambulance to an undisclosed hospital where he remains in the intensive care unit.  His injuries, while serious, are not considered life-threatening..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From behind, I suppose.

(Karma's been known to be a bitch at times,,.)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good on Lindsay. All power to her elbow as she exposes even more of the corrupt evil of RRF. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In all honesty, I hadn't thought about this guy until I caught a snippit of John Walsh's special on "The Hunt." I tried hard to watch it, but then the camera showed a shot of his "House of the Healing Presence" and I had to turn it off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×