GreaseSpot Cafe

So many newbies, so many still blinded by vp...

tonto

RG, I love newcomers - we all were new here once. I have another Christian website I go on - vastly different from here. I scoped it out, and when I first went on was very polite, and continue to be - I didn't go in like a bull in a china shop insulting people, etc.

After you've been here awhile, you relax, get to know posters, their opinions, political leanings, biblical leanings, etc. I love having discussions - even if I do not agree. After a while you get to know others you don't agree with, probably never will, and just leave them alone. It just takes awhile to get the lay of the land.

I will say though, I have never, in all my years of posting here and at waydale, seen someone trash and derail threads, insult posters, try and "trap" them, like LM did. It got frustrating, because there could be a great conversation going on, he comes in, derails it and destroys it, and new people may wonder why we're "ganging up" on someone. If someone consistently spoils a thread, its time to let them go. I've seen other boards, sometimes you do have to tell people - hit the road, p*ss in someone else's wheaties.

Dear ((((((((Sunesis))))))))) and (((((((((((((((((All here))))))))))))!

As I said I do Love and Respect You All very much! I understand what you are saying...and I appreciate it. I do wish that You perhaps, understood a little better what I have said...and what Abi has said and why we said it!

Whenever I do reply to a thread, I read it through and think about each post and poster. I try to see their perspective, and their heart Then I think through my reply....and edit it a zillion x's from grammar, spelling typos to content you name it.! My focus in a reply is to say what I mean and be as happy with it as I can be. But even before that my goal is to please GOD. So then, I think about all the Word that I know and what is pleasing to Him; so that I can reply in that manner! I do this because I know that we do not all agree and if someone is attacking or being rude or whatever it may be, they usually stop; and hear You out if what you do and say is done in love and compassion, mingled generiously with respect and genuine concern.

I believe that we do not have to ignite people's fuses; and that more often than we think, We can diffuse situations far better than We do!

An assumption :biglaugh: of mine, true or not? Is that you All think I am too flowery and too over the top; a blinded by Love "Love Child"! Well I do definitely say too flowery and too over the top things... a little gushy, but genuinely meant from my heart...believe it or not! We are All uniquely different parts of the Body of Christ and I do not claim to understand Everyone's particular function fully either.

.1Cr 12:18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.

1Cr 12:19 And if they were all one member, where [were] the body?

1Cr 12:20 But now [are they] many members, yet but one body.

1Cr 12:21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.

1Cr 12:22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:

1Cr 12:23 And those [members] of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely [parts] have more abundant comeliness.

1Cr 12:24 For our comely [parts] have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that [part] which lacked:

1Cr 12:25 That there should be no schism in the body; but [that] the members should have the same care one for another.

1Cr 12:26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.

1Cr 12:27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

1Cr 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues

Yet their are many sides and aspects to all of us, never just one! I am also very strong person; It takes a lot to breech my love and trust; yet it is breechable. I don't sanction premeditated personal attacks or false accussations and in this thread and in many other threads as well, I see these tactics used. I don't see one side being totally right either. I try to be part of the solution and not part of the problem. I believe that what I said and what Abi said is true and valuable. What you and All the other's said is valuable too. We are all human; and yet, capable of handling things far better than we often do...no matter who is right or who is wrong!

Gal 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted

Not generally could one of Us perhaps, handle being in each others shoes or even understand anothers shoes.. We all have different pains and challenges. Yet, that to me makes no one person more worthy than another to be treated with Love, Respect Compassion and Dignity

None of us have the market cornered on pain and tradgedy, but out of our Love and strengths we can walk a mile in each others shoes and endevor to truly help each other and not hinder ourselves or others either in the process! To do the least harm and the most good possible!

Things are rarely as they seem here in cyberspace...so We have to be more carefully, thorough and precise in our thoughts, actions, and heart! We do not see any one in any real depth and some like me are not as good at conveying it as others are.

Edited by RainbowsGirl

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to concur with Sunesis. I have stayed out and sometimes away since LM has been here. I have read and occasionally posted since Waydale. Many here know me personally. I cannot believe what I have read these past few months when LM has jumped into threads. This summer was the first time since 2001 that I had a lot of time to get involved more than I normally do...after watching what was going on, I chose to skip GSC. I teach my kids "don't cast your pearl before swine..." some old guy said that....But this larry dude is beyond belief...I have never seen someone so rude.

And as for all those JW's and trinitarians -- I hae been here when they came on and did their token barfing--well, the difference was they were not looking to attack, but defend for the most part what they deemed worth defending, I cannot think of a post where Larry was actually being constructive or defending a position he believed in.

I recognize their is always a glass half full for a half empty glass. that said, it does not mean what ever there is to drink in that glass is palatable for everyone.

First of all, thank you to anotherDan a couple of pages back for posting the Dylan and J Taylor (yes I love him!) and the lovely young woman singing in the bathroom.

Dot, I'm thinking maybe you misunderstood Dan and his response to me...I was trying to extend my hand to Oldies by requesting some Dylan tunes. Oldies didn't respond but Dan did. I hope you don't mind my telling this Dan, but T-Bone and Dan recently had a phone conversation and I spoke with Dan briefly...(Larry wasn't the subject...Larry never came up...imagine that :) ). I'm bringing this up because I don't believe Dan deserves to be lumped into the group you named and I'm "believing" maybe it was just a misunderstanding. I believe Dan is truly a good guy with a good heart.

When I began this thread I did so on my own. I didn't intend to be anyone's spokesman, and the only person I had discussed any of this with was my husband (lest anyone claims this came about from some conspiracy against poor Larry).

If I don't spend much time on my thread anymore it's not because I don't care about the subject and it's certainly not because I regret what I said, because I don't. Your mind is made up Abi. Fine. So is mine. I believe you're being played by a master manipulator.

Tonto

I guess you have not read the posts

I already told Dan I was making a post ABOUT the WRONGNESS of groupthink.

He probably does NOT belong in any group, he seems to be an idependent thinker.

My point was to illustrate "groupthink" is wrong and I did not bring it up, Abi did in directing "groupthink" at people who found Larry offensive or whatever.

tonto.jpgI hope you don't mind my telling this Dan, but T-Bone and Dan recently had a phone conversation and I spoke with Dan briefly...

Funny, Tonto, I just posted about the phone call to TB and you on the Fresh Air thread.

My take is that Tonto and Abi disagree, and are both right. Sometimes the answer does not lie between two positions, but above it. Abi's empathy FOR Larry and Tonto's evaluation OF him are just one difference in the PsOV. Your differing gifts and the points you are on in your journeys are other differences.

Larry, by the time you had over 75 posts, the #2 poster had about 25, I think. I don't know if you sensed, as Dot suggested, above that Tonto was venting about you personally -- that didn't occur to me until Dot brought it up. Maybe it struck a nerve, but the thread did become about you, and it remains there\. Now that you've withdrawn, you get the analysis of others. You get to see how you're seen. And of course, the image is only as good as the mirror.

In another thread, I made note of your posting style, and offered to interview you so that you could make yourself known, which is available on the Introductions Forum (I think it's called), but few people seem to take advantage of that. (A pity, I say, but I didn't either.) If you're gone for good, I'm not happy about it at all. I wish you'd finish the interview, but of course I respect your feelings and your wishes. I put you in a tough position, there. I know how hard it is to be self-revealing, but I did it in Decaf, with a clear set of rules in the first post for the express purpose of getting to know LARRY. But as I'm experiencing on the TB and Dan show, it's a pretty tough assignment. I've given you the space to post as you were inspired, albeit with a friendly nudge now and again. I hope you'll be inspired again and continue. I value you and think you may be an important voice in the conversation here if you can find it within yourself to be self-revealing instead of just probing others to do so.

Thank you, WordWolf - for the sanity you bring to every thread. And thanks to everyone [all without exception] for your posts [all with distinction…..and if anyone is wanting more specifics from me on what parts of what posts – sorry, that's between me and God].

I realized something after making reference to the confusing time right after PoP in my previous post. When the crapstorms come at Grease Spot – it's usually in the About the Way forum – ….ahem…excuse me while I pause a moment for reflection – duh!!!! There's times here when the crapstorms get thick…and the flashbacks come strongest. Right after PoP, upper leadership had their heads up their bu++s – affording us lower goons time to think freely. The only snag was, we were still in the habit of framing problems in the TWI-mindset…One of the things I like about Grease Spot is learning to kick old habits. One of the things I hate about Grease Spot is the old habits that come out in the crapstorms.

I have learned a valuable lesson on this thread – I need to stop wasting my time and energy with crap that just doesn't matter – I've made a decision. You're not going to have Nixon to kick around anymore…oops – wait – wrong speech. This is not going to be a sayonara post. This is a public announcement of the T-Bone's Time & Energy Re-distribution Program: spend more time & energy doing the things I enjoy – reading books, playing the bass, watching movies, doing things with my family, and discussing stuff with folks at Grease Spot [probably hang out mostly in the Doctrinal, Open and Silly forums…maybe peek into About the Way once and awhile to see what the weather is like – but I already know the forecast – craptorms, crapstorms, crapstorms – Dot, thank you for that word].

Edited by T-Bone

ohhhhhhhhhhh THAT one :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I had more in mind the "list" of people I respect and look up to, Excie you're right up there on my "list" too. (Sorry should've put quotes around it the first time.)

(It's like walking in a mine field around here.)

TB... I love your new time and energy re-distribution plan! I'm signing on the dotted line of my own plan, which is remarkably similar to yours. (In good protege form.) I do have commitments over in Decaf, and so do you, brother Thelonius Bone. (I'll bet your mom only called you that when you were doing something wrong.)

I'm also cutting out a lot of "religious activities" such as church attendance, theological arguments / ruminations, etc.

Real Life isn't so hard, but I've been making it hard with too much religion. I've got a decent overview of theology, over 30 years of studying the Bible pretty seriously, and yet I've come face to face with some serious gaps in my PRACTICE of "the ordinary truth." I think that's where pleasing God actually happens.

For you it's books, family, movies, playing bass, and substantive discussions (as opposed to crapstorm tornado-chasing). For me it's fix the boat, work to build some kind of financial stability, maybe some books and guitar, cooking, and general fellowship with Christ, whether here at GS or amongst family and friends, or chance encounters. I'd really like to get in some saltwater fishing, too. To heck with movies... are there any good ones? The last I remember were Nell, and Terminator 2. Maybe I'm out of the loop.

spend more time & energy doing the things I enjoy

I loved the Blue Planet series by the BBC... not exactly a movie, but it was some time with the tube.

killerWhale.jpg

Edited by anotherDan

I've been catching up here. For what it's worth, I may not like what any particular poster has said at any given time. That's a reflection of life.

I totally reserve the right to disagree, and even disagree strongly with anyone's POV, and still get up the next day and look forward to reading what they have to say. I can handle having a person I call "friend" not holding every single one of my esteemed (;)) viewpoints.

I call "BS" on my dearest friends. I also do it to my own two kids. Anyone that knows me in real life also knows that I don't really have a problem telling someone when I think they're wrong. I may not always get nose to nose with them, (in fact I rarely get nose to nose with anyone) but I still find a way to let them know I don't agree with their POV - and sometimes I strongly disagree.

To me that's honest.

I've been catching up here. For what it's worth, I may not like what any particular poster has said at any given time. That's a reflection of life.

I totally reserve the right to disagree, and even disagree strongly with anyone's POV, and still get up the next day and look forward to reading what they have to say. I can handle having a person I call "friend" not holding every single one of my esteemed ( ;) ) viewpoints.

I call "BS" on my dearest friends. I also do it to my own two kids. Anyone that knows me in real life also knows that I don't really have a problem telling someone when I think they're wrong. I may not always get nose to nose with them, (in fact I rarely get nose to nose with anyone) but I still find a way to let them know I don't agree with their POV - and sometimes I strongly disagree.

To me that's honest.

I agree with Dooj. (And thank you Dot for *sticking up for me*.)

I quit talking to Larry when I made a few (honest) comments,

and got *reamed* for daring to suggest he was wrong/ misinformed/ whatever.

My questions/ observations/ analogies were sincere, and without malice.

The response I got was the antithesis of what I expected.

So -- to make a long story short -- I'm ignoring the guy. :)

I don't give a ratzzz azz what he may (or may not) say from now on.

He had his chance, and blew it. Big time.

Although sounding human (on the DeCaffinated thread) about himself,

it's a shame he can't do likewise on other threads in different forums.

Someone who spits venom and poison on many threads,

yet is kind and docile on another thread,

merely tells me he is being *charmed* on the one about himself.

Life is too short to deal with egomaniacs. Online or off.

:)

It was kind of fun to watch his tactics though other things were not funny.

LM brought the 'gang' upon himself cause he had many who he did not finish a conversation with. Still does. So he bailed out, the little weenie.

And we can all still be friendly and talk to the guy should he ever come back and really want to talk instead of get as many upset as possible then leave. Which was his plan anyway I believe.

I think he's with geer or an offshoot of geer. Don't matter, I'm from the way, well from a few years back. And I can admit it, while LM did not want to say-personal problem I reckon.

Great posts, Dooj and dmiller.

For what it's worth, dm, your manner comes across to me just as you described, "sincere, and without malice." And Dooj, your self-description also fit you to a T, from where I sit.

There are times when I am not "myself," or at least not my "best self." Growing up, being "functional" and having the proper social skills to relate to others (including my own family) can be a difficult task at times. One would think, at "our" age, we'd have it down. For Dooj to get up in the morning and give me another shot is heartening. Thank you!

I agree that Larry "sounded human" over in decaf, and I'm grateful there is such a place where the mines are cleared, somewhat. I appreciate the respect that people have shown for that "area." I understand Larry's comments cut you, dm. They cut me when they cut you, too. But Larry doesn't just "appear" human, he IS human.

I didn't know what to do with Raf's "don't let the door hit you on the butt" comment immediately following Larry's goodbye post. A little dose of reality can be a very good thing. I prefer to err on the side of mercy rather than judgment, but that can "enable" a person to remain disfunctional.

You "oldtimers" have seen the cycles. In my earliest days, Dooj's comments often helped me see a bigger picture than the immediate conflict, and to put that conflict in perspective. Lots of good folks around here. First person sentence: Dooj and dm, thank you.

Dr. Samuel Johnson, the famous English sage, once said that one of the surest evidences of intellectual

immaturity is the desire to startle people. Yet there are Christians who have been fed upon the odd,

the strange and the curious so long and so exclusively that they have become wholly unfitted spiritually

to receive or to appreciate sound doctrine. They live to be startled by something new or thrilled by

something wonderful. They will believe anything so long as it is just a little away from the time-honored

beliefs of sober Christian men. A serious discourse calling for repentance, humbleness of mind and holiness

of life is impatiently dismissed as old-fashioned, dull and lacking in "audience appeal." Yet these things are

just the ones that rank highest on the list of things we need to hear, and by them we shall all be judged in

that great day of Christ.

--A.W. Tozer

Edited by anotherDan

I just re-read my post and I don't think I fully conveyed that I can still call someone a friend even after disagreeing with them.

I don't think that "rubber-stamping" a person's opinion just because they are a friend is the way to maintain a healthy relationship.

I don't want to give the impression that I am an adversarial wench waiting to cast my disapproval on everyone that crosses me. (LOL I can't even type that last sentence without giggling and seeing the complete absurdity of the statement.)

Basically, when the joking is fun and in line - I play along. When I think it's gotten mean or out of hand - I say something. I expect the same from my friends - and I get just that.

I haven't read but the past few pages of this thread but I am going to add my couple cents as to what I think the focus is intended as here.

I absolutely believe that God has had His hand in the direction of my life. I parted ways with the TWI in late 1988. However I don't regret even one moment of the time I spent there. It molded me into the person I am today. Sure I hated for the moment the hair combing and the endless hours sittng on the floor in the upper room in Emporia. But those things that were stupid, wrong idiotic, helped me learn how to hold fast to that which was good and discard the rest. It was exactly what God wanted for my life to help me become a good minister of His Word.

(I wonder how many mines I have tripped so far this post)

Given the choice I would relive it all and thank God for what he was teaching me. Anyone remember Samuel and Eli? Samuels time with Eli molded him into the person he became for God.

If I were to spend my moments always trying to remember the past and try to separate all the bad from the good it would take me 50 years, 1 month and 28 days to do such. I would then never get to see what God has for my future.

As to this threads title, whoever started this is under the assumption that God cannot and did not work with us in the midst of chaos. I was not blinded by VP. what he taught gave me a solid start on the path I am still on today. I loved the man when he was alive and was proud to consider him as a brother, teacher, and friend. oh. yea, he never tried to get into my pants.

I can not apologize for any wrong doings of a brother but I can I believe help you sort it out and hopefully see any evil for what it is. I can't change your past but I hope I can help you see the comfort of God's love and pray for you continually.

I still live each day borrowing from what I learned from my time in the TWI. I hope you do too.

(Oops, was that another explosion)

Out There, nice of you to drop in. I've noticed your other posts. Thanks for the perspective.

Now, if you don't mind, while you walk on, I'll just go over here behind these sandbags, and don this gasmask.