GreaseSpot Cafe

The Monotony was Killing Me

skyrider

Folks, confronting each other can be healthy, but we can't allow it to descend into namecalling. Although a patently rule-breaking post was not reported, I had to edit it anyway because failing to do so would send the message that such comments are tolerable.

Believe it or not, we still have lurkers. And I for one would like for them to know that this is a place where they can express themselves and be challenged without being berated.

Lecture over.

It's not a personal beef, nor am I offended by you. Sorry if takes the wind out of your sails, but I actually don't care. It was a very simple and straightforward question that was stirred up because of your statement that you made concerning "the rest of the corp and HQ folks [you] encountered in that time era" (other than two possible exceptions) being "rather authoritarian and cut from the same mold."

I presume "that time era" that you are addressing is circa late 70's - early eighties, right? (I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong.)

I also happen to know just a bit about the corps and staff at HQ during that same time era.

I also happen to know just a bit about why people commonly chose to like, listen to, or cater to certain people over other people there.

For you to make the comment that you did, is a strong indication to me of what sort of people you probably noticed and/or gave heed to, and those that you (in your own words) plainly didn't. So, I sorta wondered whether you would be honest enough, that when asked, would admit to or acknowledge any possibility of your own "less observant" (to say it kindly) state of mind back then.

Evidently not.

TLC, since you did ask a simple and straight question of me, here's the answer: I was in twi from 1972 to 1977. If it will also help, I will give you some additional information.

I shared an apartment off base with another sailor, he was already turned on to the word, yes, it was a twi guy. One night I came back to the appartment after having to work late on the ship (Norfolk, VA) where my ship and my friends ship were home ported. The apartment was full of people, it was a believer's meeting, a twig. Well, I was O.K. with that, I was a Christian already. I loved the teaching and was blown away when they did the manifestations. I think that was in the fall of 1972, the teacher was Franklin Smith. He and I had a long, very long, conversation in the kitchen after that meeting/twig (I later learned he was a LTJG in the Navy).

Needless to say, after a few more meetings/twigs I signed up for the PFAL; Franklin put me in touch with Doug Emmerson down in Greeneville, NC to see if those of us up in Norfolk would be able to come down on Saturdays, do the coffee house and stay over night to do the Sunday teachings and then head back up to Norfolk. We did that for months - we had deployments so the travels to Greenville were not consistent but we stayed in touch via mail with Doug Emmerson.

I had a deployment in May/June of 73 and was able to take the PFAL at some site off the NC coast just prior to the ship's departure (vpw was there and personnaly taught the 10th and 12th sessions). The Navy (my ships XO and Captain) allowed me to stay to take the class and then catch the ship in Roosevelt Rhodes, Puerto Rico, which I did.

During that mission, I ran twigs on the ship, to include some "Navigators" (do you know that Christian group?). Doug Emmerson told me that he would bend the rules and I did not need the 6 person minimum for a PFAL class and he did not need the "money" up front; he sent me the tapes (reel to reel).

Then all hell broke loose, the 1973 Middle East war, we were constantly on alert and consistently called to General Quarters with the Soviets; the class never ran (Doug told me that the devil probably started that war just to stop the class).

I got back to the states in early December or was it late November of 73, it was after Thanksgiving. I then began going back down to Greenville with the rest of the ol'e Navy gang. I came off active Naval duty around May/June of 74 and thus was able to go out on the field as a state WOW for North Carolina, my assignment was in Brevard, NC (gorgeous Blue Ridge Mountains) and was then asked to fill a needed spot in Ashboro, NC; I agreed so I went. My twig leader was Kevin Gigoo (I think he went on to some twi fame regarding Gunison, CO - did he marry into the Wierwille family or something like that?).

I think while in my time at Greenville before heading out on the field that I met Donna Lombardi (later to become Ms. LCM).

While on the field in NC, I signed to go international WOW; I think we were released from the field around 10 days prior to the ROA/WOW training. I stopped off at home to see my folks and took that VW, packed to the hilt with a rack on top, to the ROA.

Got my WOW pin and a hand shake and hug from the vpw, said my good byes, did the WOW training and headed out to my assingment (sounds like military, nothing new to me).

Being the small world that twi was back then, everyone from HQ and the 4th corp new everything about everybody. The WOW's carried all their state allegance's, Indiana was all for Lynn, NC was all for Emmerson, etc. Well, that was snubbed out the first week. My branch leader totally despised Doug Emmerson, thus, never again mention his name. I later discovered that my 4th corp interim branch leader and a 4th corp buddy was Donna Lombardi - small world. I somehow understood later, I think my branch leader said it to my face, the guy (Doug Emmerson) came on to me (Doug was married with kids, was his wife's name: Connie). Very strange, as I later learned, that those 4th and 5th corp women (that I knew) could care less. I was a 74/75 interntional WOW and then a 75/76 Wisconsin state WOW.

In 77, nearly a year after the wedding incident and running a non-twi sanctioned twig (it's been previously posted), my wife and I called it quits with twi. It was really a very easy decision. Oh, no, there was no ABS (my God, how will they get blessed?) We helped out each other, we kept that 15% back and helped our twig family.

That's the Cliffe notes there TLC, now get off my frk'n back - I think this should apply to DWBH as well.

Good. Lecture over! TY. My opinion? Censorship is censorship. Bending over backwards to be "fair" to an idiot is editorial bias. Is that what the Sun Sentinel would do???

DWBH, I read your post 3 times and still can not make sense of it, any of it.

What censorship?

Editorial bias?

What/who is the Sun Sentinel?

I am qurioius about the TY thing.

So, an "idiot", I think some Army Generals would disagree.

If you see that as a lecture, that's in your head dude.

My statements were nothing more than proof who I was and at what point in time, period. Basically, my affiliation with corp folk was pre-historic to most other corp folk posting on GSC - maybe even you.

Are you an internal GSC watch dog, are you attempting to keep GSC pure in your opinion of pure.

I beleive you to be my Christian brother DWBH.

If you have an issue with me, let's take it off line or do you need an audiance.

"Then all hell broke loose, the 1973 Middle East war, we were constantly on alert and consistently called to General Quarters with the Soviets; the class never ran (Doug told me that the devil probably started that war just to stop the class)."

That right there. That's how absolutely fricking deluded we were. Some unseen power from a netherworld started a military conflict of world wide concern to obscure a plagiarized bible class that now sits in mothballs......and we wonder why people think we must have been crazy.

Edited by waysider

"Then all hell broke loose, the 1973 Middle East war, we were constantly on alert and consistently called to General Quarters with the Soviets; the class never ran (Doug told me that the devil probably started that war just to stop the class)."

That right there. That's how absolutely fricking deluded we were. Some unseen power from a netherworld started a military conflict of world wide concern to obscure a plagiarized bible class that now sits in mothballs......and we wonder why people think we must have been crazy.

If it were true inspiration then it might have been a true statement, now, in hind sight, we know that PFAL was not God Breathed and so did the Devil, thus, he did not waste his time starting a war.

Then again, the Bitch just loves watching death - what a coincidence.

Nope, that PFAL I tried to run on the ship did not start a war - that war was decades in the making.

Good. Lecture over! TY. My opinion? Censorship is censorship. Bending over backwards to be "fair" to an idiot is editorial bias. Is that what the Sun Sentinel would do???

"Censorship" is about silencing voices.

Civil discourse, brother, DOES have limits.

Generally, WE can manage OURSELVES and refrain from venting spleen

or posting something coarse or truly insulting.

Occasionally, a staffer has to remind us to manage ourselves.

More rarely, a staffer needs to step in.

Me, I prefer to manage myself before they need to step in.

And I prefer that there is a limit after which is "going too far."

Truly unmoderated messageboards are incoherent trollbait when they're

not overrun by spambots and Nigerian princes looking for assistants.

The Sun Sentinel, as a respectable newspaper, has a limit as to what it

will allow in print-and an editor WILL step in if needed.

That's S.O.P. for newspapers.

==========================================

You caught that, too? And you beat me to it.

It reminds me of all the other inflated, grandiose claims-

and that reminds me of the thread where we discussed them...

"vpw? Superman? Green Lantern?"

To be plain waysider and WordWolf, I think Doug Emmerson was kidding about that "devil starting a war" in an effort to keep up my moral and let me know it was not my fault - and, I don't think he intended for me to take it serious (we knew each other better than that). I should have never posted that. Since I am going through all the old, very old, military stuff, along with 50+ years of other crap, I hope I run acrosse those letters. If I do, I will share those things if appropriate.

I have come to understand that Doug Emmerson had issues and got thrown under the buss (as an example), he made some very bad decissions and paid for them.

Regardless, he was always a stand up man with me and my fellow Sailors, we worked side by side upgrading the limb HQ grounds and buildings on those many Saturdays - he liked getting his hands dirty.

I was impressed that he took the time to spend with us and write letters; you see, that was my first encounter with twi leadership. Depending on your point of view, like Obie Wan Knopee stated, yada, yada or should it be yoda, yoda.

Bottom line WW and waysider, I would give Doug Emmerson a pass on the "war" thing.

I'm baffled.

How is it censorship to set rules for civil discourse and expect adults to abide by them?

And there's nothing new about these rules.

Bringing my place of employment into it? Not cool.

I'm all for standing up to MRAP. Done it myself, as he'll no doubt attest. But we can do it without resorting to namecalling. If I were interested in censorship I would have deleted the whole post. Instead I excised only the parts that were specifically in violation.

And frankly, I shouldn't have to.

Maybe Doug was kidding. I don't know. What I do know is that I heard people who weren't kidding spew that kind of nonsense more times than i care to admit. In fact, if you spend enough time on facebook you'll find people who are STILL spewing similar things.

Edited by waysider

Maybe Doug was kidding. I don't know. What I do know is that I heard people who weren't kidding spew that kind of nonsense more times than i care to admit. In fact, if you spend enough time on facebook you'll find people who are STILL spewing similar things.

Yes,waysider, I am with you on that. I hated watching the news with my WOW branch leader.

I am quite certain that DE was not doing that.

The man had sins but I certainly don't wanna cast a stone for something he wrote with good intent and not outa twi dogma.

That part about being thrown under the buss, now that's a topic I would like to see evaluated further; he did something that had been twi SOP but the big HQ decided to make an example of him in order to make themselves look holyier than thou. Just MRAP's little opinion.

Gee, we are way out on a tangent this time.

Nice. Fahrenheit B.T.C. (Burn The Chaff)

Excellent observation there Bolshevik.

How well the shoe is now on the other foot when twi came out with that "Burn the Chaff" book burning movement. As brain washed as I was back then, it still stank of 1930's Germany.

Even supposing your friend was joking, he was joking with a pattern of inflated claims

like we'd heard lots of times before and after that.

"In 1976 I attended my first ROA's in Sydney Ohio. I remember the WOW's with whom we travelled saying that VP does not sleep during this whole entire event. He was so 'spiritually' wired that he was awake for the whole 4 days, praying and teaching and meeting needs..."

"It was TWI that caused the fall of the Soviet Union. If it had not been for Wierwille's stand on the Word countless countries would have fallen to communism, California would have slipped off into the Pacific Ocean, and we would all now be speaking Russian - That is, if the giant comet that was headed directly for the Earth has not been diverted by VPW's great believing."

"When Squeaky From went to shoot the President and her gun did not fire, it was because VP had the foresight to send WOW's there that day. Because of the WOW's presence, under the direction of VP, our President was saved."

"God told VP to put WOW's on the San Andres fault in California. This prevented the HUGE earthquake which otherwise would have happened.

I recall someone in CA said something bad about TWI and VP said, "I should just take my WOW's off the fault and see what happens to them."

"Did you know that TWI prevented the certain overthrow of the USA by all the witnessing we did and by the production and promotion of America Awakes? It was all going to happen by the bi-centennial in 1976. Heck, I still have my copy of "The Secret new Constitution" which had been drafted by the evil powers, the Catholic church being foremost among them! America Awakes drove back the spirit power. Our country was saved! Thank God all those WOW's signed up. Just in the nick of time. Their door to door and street witnessing changed destiny!

A more recent example in TWI II was Y2K. Quote from LCM and other leaders: "It was the preparation on the household of The Way that kept anything from happening."

Excellent observation there Bolshevik.

How well the shoe is now on the other foot when twi came out with that "Burn the Chaff" book burning movement. As brain washed as I was back then, it still stank of 1930's Germany.

There you go......connecting the dots back to the source.

And, if THAT was so whacked......what else? What other whacked revelation

was wierwille going to get to "lead us forward?"

Burning books, records, etc......all in the name of "Uncle Harry Day."

Wierwille was deeply twisted to decree a twi-holiday like that in his brother's name.

Modcat5......Hopefully you are aware of my respect and appreciation of you both as a journalist and as the moderator here. If not, allow me to reiterate both. I respect you as a person and a professional and a friend. i love you man, and you can have my Bud Lite!........pardon the reference to an old TV commercial.

Having said all that, i repeat, censorship IS censorship. That's all I have to say on that, just like Forrest. Peace.

Even supposing your friend was joking, he was joking with a pattern of inflated claims

like we'd heard lots of times before and after that.

http://www.greasespo...-green-lantern/

"In 1976 I attended my first ROA's in Sydney Ohio. I remember the WOW's with whom we travelled saying that VP does not sleep during this whole entire event. He was so 'spiritually' wired that he was awake for the whole 4 days, praying and teaching and meeting needs..."

"It was TWI that caused the fall of the Soviet Union. If it had not been for Wierwille's stand on the Word countless countries would have fallen to communism, California would have slipped off into the Pacific Ocean, and we would all now be speaking Russian - That is, if the giant comet that was headed directly for the Earth has not been diverted by VPW's great believing."

"When Squeaky From went to shoot the President and her gun did not fire, it was because VP had the foresight to send WOW's there that day. Because of the WOW's presence, under the direction of VP, our President was saved."

"God told VP to put WOW's on the San Andres fault in California. This prevented the HUGE earthquake which otherwise would have happened.

I recall someone in CA said something bad about TWI and VP said, "I should just take my WOW's off the fault and see what happens to them."

"Did you know that TWI prevented the certain overthrow of the USA by all the witnessing we did and by the production and promotion of America Awakes? It was all going to happen by the bi-centennial in 1976. Heck, I still have my copy of "The Secret new Constitution" which had been drafted by the evil powers, the Catholic church being foremost among them! America Awakes drove back the spirit power. Our country was saved! Thank God all those WOW's signed up. Just in the nick of time. Their door to door and street witnessing changed destiny!

A more recent example in TWI II was Y2K. Quote from LCM and other leaders: "It was the preparation on the household of The Way that kept anything from happening."

WordWolf, thanks for that link to the vpw? Superman? thread - some good reading there!

maybe something along a similar vein was the typical nonsense that was said when disasters did happen; about the Big Thompson flood of '76 in Colorado i vaguely remember someone's remark how the devil usually kicks up his heels around the time VP teaches the Advanced Class... i have another vague memory of when i took the Advanced Class in '78 , VP smugly saying in reference to some disaster how the devil always "accommodates" him when he teaches about the power of the adversary.

...these memories happened so long ago -and i'm unable to accurately recall the context of when/where i heard this stuff ....and i've watched too many sci-fi / fantasy movies since then....sometimes all that nonsense just blends together if you know what i mean.

And Doug Emerson was one of the skeeviest twits there ever was. I was stuck cleaning up his mess in NC (1974-75) while he was at HQ learning from vic's Ephesians teachings to the corpse that year that it was cool to screw anyone you wanted. You're a mog after god's own heart just like David. It's good to be King. All the women in the kingdom are your's now. Enjoy your mogdom. He got thrown out of NC, not under any buss(sic!)! Then, he tried again with a new wife, Katrina in the 10th corpse i believe. Screwed that up too. Got thrown out of MA and turned up in HI where his rich daddy lived. Tried one more time and twit finally cut all ties. mrap seems to be a fabulous judge of character too. TTFN.

It was the preparation of the household of the Way that kept anything from happening.

Heard that bs too many times.

The funny part looking back is the partial truth of the matter. We were so busy running around buying unnecessary crap and reporting back on everything there was no time for anything to happen with us that's for sure.

So then when y2k fizzled for conspiracy theorists they could claim a Pyrrhic victory and move on to their next theory all while manipulating us.

Reminds me of some reading I've done on another cult that's bigger the JWs.

They number around 2 million worldwide. Multiple predictions of end times dates failing and needing to be explained. Rutherford was a leader whose profile it would be interesting to compare to VP - mansions new cars etc.

What's this thread about: the "The Monotony was Killing Me". Is it that hard to stay on thread/topic?

If you can not ID with the thread, then just sit this one out and not let an ego divert the topic.

I don't know who is off topic.

You want monotony? Try sitting perfectly still and silent in a large group for hours while the previous generations worship VPW.

• Upvote 1