GreaseSpot Cafe

WHAT IS THIS PLACE?

modcat5

Question

UPDATED: 8/12/2019

This forum is an experiment. We will decide whether it is constructive based on how it progresses.

The idea is simple: If you have a question about The Way International, past present or future, this is the place to ask.

Due to the nature of this forum, we reserve the right to revisit the issue of who can ask and answer questions. For now, you do NOT need to be registered with GSC to ask a question. You DO have to be registered with GSC to answer and to respond to answers.

ALL QUESTIONS have to be approved by moderators. Answers do not.

Answers are not to be considered official statements from GSC, its owners or moderators.

The standard rules of GSC apply: No namecalling, no "outing" people, no libel/slander, etc.

The moderators and owners of GSC will not disclose the IP addresses of those who post here unless legally necessary (don't make threats, and we should all be happy).

To clarify for those reading the responses to this question: it was originally posted as "Are you all unbelievers?" A similar question was asked by a guest, so I changed this one to make it more clear that this thread is an explanation of what we're attempting here.

11 answers to this question

This is an experimental answer: Most of us are not unbelievers, though some are. Many of us still hold to some form of what was taught in TWi although that varies wildly from person to person. A handful are mainstream Christians. A handful are unbelievers. Some are connected to various offshoots. The only thing most of us have in common is that at one time in our lives, we took the "foundational class" offered by TWI. 

I'm not really sure what the question is but here is my take on the "TWI experience".

What affected me most and continues to affect me to a lesser degree, was not so much what I believe(d), but rather the dynamics of the lifestyle we tried to live. I mean, FellowLaborers was essentially an experiment in the commune lifestyle, using religion as a pretext. (Minus the sex, drugs and Rock and Roll) People are all over the charts on their religious/spiritual beliefs but the thing we all have in common is we tried to live a contrived lifestyle. We were all affected in our own ways, some to a minimal degree, some profoundly. Make no mistake, though, we were all affected.

Hi waysider. The idea behind his subforum is for anyone, ANYONE, to ask questions about us and about TWI. We can answer if we want. We can ASK if we want. It's like a little more explicit in its format than the average thread. Hopefully people will find it useful. If not, we scrap it and no harm done.

Ask Us Anything

Follow 0

This forum is an experiment. We will decide whether it is constructive based on how it progresses.

The idea is simple: If you have a question about The Way International, past present or future, this is the place to ask.

Due to the nature of this forum, we reserve the right to revisit the issue of who can ask and answer questions. 

But for now, let's see how it works.

[The moderators and owners of GSC will not disclose the IP addresses of those who post here unless legally necessary -- don't make threats, and we should all be happy].

In the interest of transparency, we ask guests to identify themselves either by name or by a consistent username we can all refer back to. (In other words, if you don't want to tell us who you are, fine. But at least come back with the same "fake" name when you return, like WierwilleDale or something).

When I checked this morning, I had the button allowing me to post a question while logged out, and the thread showed the button allowing me to reply.  So, in theory, someone can post a question to us without logging in, or reply to one.  Obviously,  the staff will be watching for potential vandalism, so this is (also obviously) an "experiment."  There may be no problems, or one fool may ruin things for everyone as staff has to delete their stuff immediately.  We'll all have to wait and see what happens.

According to TWI's definition of unbeliver, I am one.  A rank one.  Currently practicing a combination of Catholicism, Buddhism, and Paganism.  I can't say I have held on to any of the core beliefs of TWI.  They all dropped off as I picked them up and examined them  once I was outside of the group.  I do still hold on to the memories of the beliefs, and I have found it has given me a lot of empathy for others who follow belief systems (religious and political) that I do not subscribe to.  I feel that I have become more of who I really am in the process - not someone who is watching myself do things according to how someone else has told me it should be done, but instead living in the present moment, comfortable in my own being, knowing my decisions are my own to make.

I base my belief now on the simple "Love God and love your neighbor as yourself" with the definition of neighbor being all humanity instead of the narrow view of "the Household of Zion."

• Like 1

Like Java Jane said - if you subscribe to TWI’s definition then I too am an unbeliever. However, I’ve taken up a more active role in my evolving belief system.  I look at life as a journey. Raised Roman Catholic but at a critical juncture in my young life I chose to join TWI. Initially, I felt I was in the driver’s seat. But after years and years of programs, meetings, adopting a certain mindset and thinking I was serving God – most of my “motoring” skills took a back seat. If life is a journey - then this portion of the trip I was taken for a ride. :biglaugh:

Why did I leave TWI? Maybe it was something like watching a train wreck in slow-motion…me slowly coming to the realization that there was something morally wrong with the whole thing. My beef is not over theology or some particular doctrine.  I mean, if you look at the Pharisees in Jesus’ day – they may have had a tight theological system (whatever that is) but morally there was such dark overgrown jungle-like stain on their hearts that they often received Jesus’ most vehement criticism.

I would describe myself as a believer – with the Bible and the basics of Christianity as part of my moral compass on this journey of faith.

• Upvote 2