GreaseSpot Cafe

Your Avitar...

ChasUFarley

Last (longstanding) avitar was a morse code key, mainly because I am a ham radio operator. That's REALLY what "The Guru of Ham" is all about.

<<<

I helped instruct quite a few electronics and radio classes here. Well, before full time school..

The Squirrel you see now is one of several that came to my window at work a couple of years ago. I fed him (her?) walnuts when they were cheap.. now all they get are peanuts..

if there wasn't any food waiting for them, they'd do this funny dance. I snapped the picture at just the right moment..

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason for my avitar is because I kind of feel I am like luke shywalker. I recently found out things about my family without giving out too many details. A lot of injustices happen over a fifty year period a stupid family feud. That should have ended a lot time ago.The easy thing to do is too get revenge but I don't want that revenge only brings out more hate and more bitterness. What I really want is justice. On another tread there is a star wars fourm. Do I want to be annkin or do I want to be luke?

Mine is part of a larger picture that was a piece of personally-commissioned artwork.

(Albeit cut and squished a bit so I don't have a whole page in here.)

I use wolf-with-book insignias of one sort or another, and have for a long time.

It's symbolic of me. The book represents a number of books- and a few artists have

drawn me free variations with different titles added- but primarily, it represents

a Bible, as most here would have guessed.

The wolf himself represents me. The KJV and every English bible I know of translates

certain things in the Bible as "wolf" or "wolves" which more properly would have been

a DESERT-JACKAL, since the wolf we know wasn't a fixture in Palestine.

The wolf we know is a figure that has been the object of a consistent smear campaign

and a target for MISinformation for centuries. Wolves are NOT rampaging psychopaths

who will kill humans at any excuse.

"Throw him to the wolves"- abandon him to trouble with no assistance

"The wolf is at the door"- danger is upon us

"Cry wolf"- claim danger is present (usually meant when NO wolf/danger is present)

The greatest enemy of the wolf is man. Wolf is the animal whose social structure is

closest to that of humans- moreso than any primate.

Wolf is a FAMILY-ORIENTED animal. A wolf is part of a family- a pack.

(Or is attempting to form a new pack, which is when you find a disperser or "lone wolf.")

Wolf will hunt down food, of course. Wolf therefore will kill for food.

However, wolves don't war on other wolves, they prefer to DRIVE OFF threats rather than

kill them, and when one challenges for leadership of the pack, the challenge goes until

one is evidently the loser, then the challenge is over and there's no scheming and

continual attempts to do so again. Despite being animals, they're nicer than many people

I know. For animals, they're also pretty intelligent, and have shown a variety of emotions

among each other and among humans they are acculturated to- playfulness, generosity,

friendship, protectiveness. The entire pack joins in to raise and protect the cubs, and

they're quite tolerant of them.

If there was such a thing as a werewolf, a half-human, half-wolf monster, it would get its

violent tendencies from its HUMAN half- since wolves don't attack except to get food

or to defend the pack or the pups most especially, but humans will often resort to one

form of violence or another for greed or whim.

Thus, a wolf.

I love music.-----All kinds-----------Always have.

But, I have a special fondness for blues and harmonica oriented music.

My avitar is a figurine(not one of those fancy schmantzy German ones) that someone who knows me very well gave me a few years ago.

It's a kid sitting on a fence rail playing harmonica.

On his left side is a hound dog with big floppy ears and wide open eyes looking up at him as he plays.

My wife, also a "grad" but not a poster, took a picture of it and posted it for me.

When I first saw it, I was surprised that it has an almost Norman Rockwell kind of feel to it.

That's when my " grandchildren" started looking in over my shoulder and offering their own two cents.

In case you haven't met them, they are Cletus(that's his name), Cleophus(he's the ornery one) and Clara Belle( that's short for Helen.)

I suppose that, in a sense, my avitar is really a part of me that most people never see.

Ha Ha-- My grandson Cletus( that's his name) just said, "Geepers, Grandpa Waysider, are you really gonna post that sappy junk?"

Now, where do you suppose a modern day kid got a word like "sappy"?

Great thread Chas.

DMiller-quit always fiddlin' around.

TBone- a man of many colors, you kill me.

Hammy-Gotta love ya, you always make me laugh. (hey did you know there is a world wide ham operators thing goin' on this Sunday, I know of several boater friends who will be a part of it)

As for my avitar-I guess I like to keep things light. You only go through this thing one time around so we all may as well enjoy life-seriously-ha ha.

I started out with a generic coffee sign, but it didn't seem to fit well.

Then I changed to a baby drinking and HUGE cup of Starbucks. It fit because I felt I was getting into something forbidden to me by twi, but something that would wake me up. It fit for a while.

And now I am using the Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland... I seem to be heading down the rabbit hole the more I read and the more I learn. My reality is being reordered.

I feel a change coming on soon, but I'm not sure what it will be.

Great thread Chas.

DMiller-quit always fiddlin' around.

TBone- a man of many colors, you kill me.

Hammy-Gotta love ya, you always make me laugh. (hey did you know there is a world wide ham operators thing goin' on this Sunday, I know of several boater friends who will be a part of it)

As for my avitar-I guess I like to keep things light. You only go through this thing one time around so we all may as well enjoy life-seriously-ha ha.

Heh heh heh! I'll quit fiddling around, when you stop keeping things light!!

(Not denigrating anyone here -- but the word is AVATAR.) ;)

And (sadly) -- due to arthritic fingers, I will continue to *fiddle around*, as much as I can.

My days are limited, but I had fun while they lasted. :)

you know... i've really HAD it with the grammar police around here lately...

dmiller - you know i think the world of you man... but was that really necessary?

you all knew exactly what i was talking about - i'm a very busy person and this is about the one social connection i have left in life. if my grammar and being just human is a problem, i can go elsewhere.... i'm really fed up with this...

you know... i've really HAD it with the grammar police around here lately...

dmiller - you know i think the world of you man... but was that really necessary?

you all knew exactly what i was talking about - i'm a very busy person and this is about the one social connection i have left in life. if my grammar and being just human is a problem, i can go elsewhere.... i'm really fed up with this...

Hmmm...funny I didn't even notice it...guess I was too busy thinking up a response. Besides everyone knows I can't spell worth a sh!t.

Please don't leave us Chas...I would miss you...

I've had many avatars since being here. I used to always have humming birds of some sort. Then I had a picture of myself. Then I changed to the Peet's Coffee logo because I LOVE that coffee! This is a cafe afterall, and I have to make sure we have the good stuff here especially since I appointed myself ast the head waitress. :biglaugh:

Around the time I joined the cafe, I was listening to Lyle Lovett's song "If I Had a Boat" and I identified with Tonto:

The mystery masked man was smart (vpw & co.)

He got himself a Tonto (corps)

'Cause Tonto did the dirty work for free (actually, we paid for this)

But Tonto he was smarter (finally saw twi for what it was)

And one day said kemo sabe

Kiss my a$$ I bought a boat (or house, or education..etc)

I'm going out to sea (freedom of thought)

Dear Tom Strange was kind enough to find the picutre of Tonto for me.

(Yeah, I know Tonto is a guy and I'm not, but at the time it didn't seem to matter) :rolleyes: .

I just grabbed the first picture of me I could find. Any old one would suffice. LOL

Actually, I found this avatar when someone started a thread about which actress would play your life? I thought of Dolly right away. We're both 5 ft. nothin' - or we both have big blonde hair - or we're both just terrific singers, or well, there was something we had in common - must be this heapin' helpin' of sometimers...

Tonto - I bought that Lyle cd for that song - I LOVE that song - and several others on there, too. I really like Julia Roberts, and I thought she was the one that got the best end of that deal - I felt bad for them both when they divorced.

Tonto - I bought that Lyle cd for that song - I LOVE that song - and several others on there, too. I really like Julia Roberts, and I thought she was the one that got the best end of that deal - I felt bad for them both when they divorced.

Hey bowtwi, it's good to know there's another Lyle fan around here! I agree that Julia lost out.

krysilis I like that pretty butterfly. In fact, I really like the variety in everyone's choices.

I've been reading comic books now for 45 years. I've always thought that Green Lantern was the coolest character. The particular picture is from a painting by Alex Ross (who, coincidentally, is from my home town).

In Brightest Day, in Blackest Night

No Evil Shall Escape My Sight.

Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might

BEWARE MY POWER, GREEN LANTERN'S LIGHT!

George

Mine is a bird - cause I'm a birdy girl. I have my Buttercup and love him to pieces. After he gets over having the grumpies he's a happy, chirpy little guy. I love to just sit and watch him transact with other birds, his buddies, toys, me, my husband, my friends and my grandchildren. I have found I can learn a lot about how to love God and live life from my animals.

Chas, PLEASE don't go anywhere else! :knuddel: Your wit and humor is unlike any other and your insight is amazing. You use the most important keys on the keyboard as far as I'm concerned, the "space bar" and the "enter" key. :biglaugh: And, that's the only thing that really matters to me. Even if you decided to quit using those, I'd take the time to add my own just so's I could still enjoy your input.

Krys, I love, love, love your name and avatar. I'd hate to see you change either one one 'em. I remember a long time ago you explained why you chose your screen name and it really touched me and has stuck with me through these years.

Chas, PLEASE don't go anywhere else! :knuddel: Your wit and humor is unlike any other and your insight is amazing. You use the most important keys on the keyboard as far as I'm concerned, the "space bar" and the "enter" key.

I second that. You add a dynamic to this place, and I would miss you too much!!