GreaseSpot Cafe

Way Corps Zero

Naten00

DWBH......thanks for the history behind glenda sue.

She was always spoken in hush-hush circles and all. Even back in the "good ole days" twi was WHITEWASHING their history and programs. And, yes....she was ahead of her time by splitting out early.

If wierwille/twi had to LIE about the zero corps and first corps.......THE WHOLE CORPS PROGRAM IS SUSPECT TO WHITEWASHING THEIR ERRORS, THEIR INDOCTRINATION AND SCAM.

No way did I sign up to be "made in the image of wierwille." /barf

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm attaching a scan of a color postcard of TWI HQ that was in my "Welcome, Sucker" packet that I received (dechomai) during my first visit in 1975. Not sure when the overhead photo was taken, but it hopefully provides a visual of DWBH's nifty description of the HQ buildings and layout at that time.

OK, stand back, I'm gonna lambano it now.

post-1810-084594000 1313286746_thumb.jpg

Striking the difference in presentation in the two pictures. The first, they look nice, casual, a bit hippyish, naive kids.

The second, they look seriously "Way-ized" in formal "casual" poses - already in the mold.

Here's the graduation picteure of the first corps from 1972. You're right that Mike smith was in the 1st Corps........my oversight. However, so was Earl Burton, as i said.......note graduation picyure of First corps from the same site............burton came from the ECU "WAY HOME" as did randy........don't remember why he got there to miss the picture?.......but I do know glenda was never "counted" as first corps "officially" 'cuz she split...........she was ahead of her time, eh?.....LOL!........hoping my attempt to post the picture I'm referencing......if not, check out the site and see it..............love ya!...........peace.

DWBH......there's something about this Earl Burton "issue" that doesn't make any sense, imo. The discrepancies are:

1) How is it that Del & Nancy would schedule a picture of the First Corps knowing that Earl would be missing?

2) Why wouldn't this picture be mandatory for Earl to attend?

3) Besides, Wierwille was a stickler on "documenting twi-history"....look at how he documented his India itinerary. Where is Earl?

4) Why would Bo's website give reference to the August 1971 "First Corps Picture" and NOT reference Earl Burton as missing from the picture?

IMO.....I speculate that Earl did NOT start with the first corps, but was allowed to "slip in the back door" at a later day. Perhaps, when Glenda Sue bolted......Earl was standing in the wings ready and willing to be "trained?" And perhaps, another ECU man would bolster the credibility of the corps program and minimize the damage of another defection?

Something doesn't "smell right".......???

In all the FellowLaborer pictures I've ever seen, there is always someone missing. (Out on an assignment, running a class or whatever) So, it's possible Earl was simply "missing" that day. Still, I understand what you're saying about things not adding up. He's still around, running some sort of splinter effort someplace. Maybe he'll drop in and chew the fat with us.......but I doubt it.

Edited by waysider

hey Skyrider!........i have no answers to your questions........maybe drop bo a note at his website and see what he remembers? like the 'sider said, i doubt that earl the purl will let us know directly!.....LOL!.................however, we all can agree that "things" were far different at the start of the 1st corps than at their graduation........no complete wierwillization had yet occurred!.........as a matter of fact, Bo lived in the way woods in a teepee at the beginning of his in-rez corps training!!............and, i don't think del ever got fully wierwillized.........especially knowing some of the things that occurred at the "indiana campus" while he was the Corps Coordinator there!!!.....hehehe!

Hey Doglover!....always goood for the heart to hear from you!......................................peace all!

In all the FellowLaborer pictures I've ever seen, there is always someone missing. (Out on an assignment, running a class or whatever) So, it's possible Earl was simply "missing" that day. Still, I understand what you're saying about things not adding up.

No....it does NOT add up.

Why would Del & Nancy go to the trouble of gathering the "group" together, and a photographer.......when ONE was missing?

We're talking about EIGHT people with Del & Nancy.......EIGHT, and only seven show up.

And, one doesn't show up......and that's on Bo's website as THE FIRST CORPS PICTURE? Knowing Bo......I would think he would have detailed the fact that Earl was not present for this picture.

Just seems to me......surely, if Earl was missing in action, they could have rescheduled the picture to be taken on ANOTHER DAY?

btw, what is Gary Curtis doing these days. that is if he is still living?

skyrider,

I wouldn't read too much into the pictures and who was there or not. These are not professionally made pictures but snapshots made by calling the group together, probably after some function like a sunday night teaching. The missing party was probably the one holding the camera.

I was trained in photography and worked in professional photo labs for 20 years. No professional photographer would ever take such compositionally poor picures. But they all look like someone said, "Hey, let's get a picture while were all here."

From the Atlanta Bible Fellowship, the First Way Corps pictures:

August 1971

1c1.gif

All the style of a teenager with a Kodak Brownie Instamatic camera.

A tree is growing out of one's shoulder and reaching into everyone else's brain.

The girls are either standing in a ditch or are on their knees in a sign

of submissiveness. (Please don't kill me ex! :rolleyes:)

The Graduates of 1972

1c2.gif

A pleasant looking picture but the left side has way too much light and the right

way too little. It distracts from the subjects and pulls your eye to the upper left brightspot.

In a group this size, noone's face should be partially obstructed.

Now look at picture number three, shot right after picture two.

Extended Family

1c.gif

Same poor lighting and composition. Much more casual. People on the left and right

are cut in half.

Again these are not professional pictures, but probably spur of the moment shots done at some gathering.

Look for the missing person behind the camera. :biglaugh:

i was trying to find something maybe from what jim doop wrote when he went to HQ jan 69 and after -- he mentions kurt cushing, howard yeremian, doug white ???

anyway he also talks about wonderful glenda sue mahoney

but what i really found interesting is when wierwille went out to CA in 70 and after a great pfal class was sitting around with jimmy and judy and asked them what it was like to attend an orgy, which upset them very much, to where they tried to believe they misheard him

wierwille told them "you know that's available -- god put it in 1 corinthinas 7:1 -- it is GOOD for a man not to touch a woman -- "If it wasn't available to have sex outside the marriage, god would have said "BEST" instead of "GOOD"'

it's so nice to understand the difference between good and best, isn't it

around 71

vpig said to him

what IF i f-u-c-k-e-d a different woman every night, where are you going to hear a teaching like you heard tonight?
nowhere
if you ever do have another woman and she shoots her mouth off about going to bed with you, you just deny the whole thing. Your life is more important than hers.....

No....it does NOT add up.

Why would Del & Nancy go to the trouble of gathering the "group" together, and a photographer.......when ONE was missing?

We're talking about EIGHT people with Del & Nancy.......EIGHT, and only seven show up.

And, one doesn't show up......and that's on Bo's website as THE FIRST CORPS PICTURE? Knowing Bo......I would think he would have detailed the fact that Earl was not present for this picture.

Just seems to me......surely, if Earl was missing in action, they could have rescheduled the picture to be taken on ANOTHER DAY?

Hi everyone, esp. nice to see DWBH!

This info might solve the photo mystery:

I was from the ECU fellowship and was in the second Corps (1971-73). In those days, there was a Way Home set up in Greenville, NC, down the street from the ECU campus. When I took PFAL at the Way Home in Dec. 1970, John and Pat Lynn were living in it and so were several guys enrolled at ECU. They helped run PFAL classes, recruit other students into TWI, etc. VPW had set up this kind of thing because he wanted college educated leaders for his cult. The requirement for living with the Lynns was this: stay in college, get your degree, be a slave for TWI and then lucky you, you can come to HQ and spend only one year doing the in-resident program with the Way Corps and then graduate.

Under this plan, Earl Burto*, Duk* Clark*, Randy Anders*n, Ger*ld Wren, I*n Murphy, and G*orge H*nley all did the Corps thing.

Specifically, E*rl and R*ndy got their college degree before the others, so they came to HQ in the fall of 1971 and joined the First Corps, graduating with them in 1972.

D*ke, Ger*ald, and I*an arrived at HQ in 1972 and graduated with us in the 2nd Corps in 1973.

G*orge H. showed up in the fall of 1973 and graduated with the 3rd Corps in 1974.

I believe the third corps was the last Corps to have two back-to-back years of Corps indoctrination and then graduate. After that, an interim year was added. Is this right, DWBH?

Cheers!

PENWORKS!!!...............how wonderful to correspond with you again here at the spot!........your writings always bring a smile to my heart and warmth to my soul........

yes, you are absolutely correct about the people you named from the ecu MEN'S way home completing their corps "training" in only one in-rez year following their time spent slaving for twi at the ECU way home, and after graduating from college. hen*ley was the last one to do this............funny, is it not, that no one from the WOMEN'S way home at ecu was granted the same "privilege" .............and, the third was the last to complete corps "training" and "graduate" after only 2 consecutive in-rez years...............the fourth was given the option of taking the first "interim year" year or "practicum'year" as it was first called either between the required 2 in-rez years (as eventually became the "rule"), or to do 2 years in-rez consecutively, and then do their practicum year after the 2 consecutive in-rez years, and graduate with the fourth who returned for the final in-rez year after completing their interim year...............family corps one came to hq with the first year 5th corps.............and the sixth was the 1st corps to start and finish at emporia and rotate through indiana and gunnison during the growth years of twi "root locales" and the increasingly larger numbers of the incoming corps' and family corps'................phew!........what a crazy bunch of twi jargon and phraseology, eh????............LOL!....................................................peace.

Dear DWBH,

You are the Dude! Your memory is photographic or something!!! I often think of your interview posted here at GSC and tell people to listen to it!

You mentioned the women at the ECU Way Home. Before the guys I mentioned above moved in the ECU Way Home with JAL, there were a couple of women living there with J*hn and M*ry S*mmerville. One was M*rcia Faul* who later married B*ll Gr*en and ran the Corps at HQ.

While we're naming names for historical records, J. S*mmerville works (or at least a couple of years ago he did) as a tour guide for Israel trips sponsored by John Hagee Ministries. I've watched Hagee on T.V. He is the closest clone of VP I've seen. Sorry JAL, you didn't make the cut . :anim-smile:

Cheers!

This info might solve the photo mystery:

I was from the ECU fellowship and was in the second Corps (1971-73). In those days, there was a Way Home set up in Greenville, NC, down the street from the ECU campus. When I took PFAL at the Way Home in Dec. 1970, John and Pat Lynn were living in it and so were several guys enrolled at ECU. They helped run PFAL classes, recruit other students into TWI, etc. VPW had set up this kind of thing because he wanted college educated leaders for his cult. The requirement for living with the Lynns was this: stay in college, get your degree, be a slave for TWI and then lucky you, you can come to HQ and spend only one year doing the in-resident program with the Way Corps and then graduate.

Under this plan, Earl Burto*, Duk* Clark*, Randy Anders*n, Ger*ld Wren, I*n Murphy, and G*orge H*nley all did the Corps thing.

Specifically, E*rl and R*ndy got their college degree before the others, so they came to HQ in the fall of 1971 and joined the First Corps, graduating with them in 1972.

D*ke, Ger*ald, and I*an arrived at HQ in 1972 and graduated with us in the 2nd Corps in 1973.

G*orge H. showed up in the fall of 1973 and graduated with the 3rd Corps in 1974.

I believe the third corps was the last Corps to have two back-to-back years of Corps indoctrination and then graduate. After that, an interim year was added. Is this right, DWBH?

Cheers!

Thanks penworks.

So.....THAT explains why Earl was missing from the 1971 way corps picture. He was attending college and slipped into the first corps program a year late.

How convenient........ :biglaugh:

Exceptions, exceptions, exceptions......and wierwille boasted about COMMITMENTS! Just when I think that I've heard everything there is to know about twi-hypocrisy.....ANOTHER LAYER SURFACES.

• 5 years later...
On 8/12/2011 at 1:09 PM, WordWolf said:

Actually, there's not that much on the GSC regarding this. I've looked around and found little when I attempted to make

a timeline.

vpw found that his first attempt to do the way corps was not subservient enough for him, near as I could determine.

As was his usual style, he savaged their reputation and tried to hide their existence.

He claimed they "never got it together" and a few WEEKS into the program

"I gave them the privilege of leaving." (Per TW:LIL.)

The fact that his first attempt was a consistent FAILURE should have told a lot. After all, vpw himself had

ZERO training in programs, neither as a manager nor as a participant. He claimed he wanted to model it

after the military-despite having ZERO experience with the military. So, basically, he wanted the

OBEDIENCE seen in army movies or whatever without providing the corresponding BENEFITS to the soldier

(which vpw knew nothing about, any way.) He claimed that model a number of times and places. At others,

he claimed to model it after the Book of Acts- which it in no way resembles. vpw was fond of saying THIS

to one person and THAT to another and lying to both at the same time if it suited his purposes. What he

WANTED was the OBEDIENCE, and he kept trying until he got it.

Anywhere the people actually CARED would have stopped everything and disassembled the program after an

initial "failure" and completely re-engineered it with improvements across the board. With twi, that was

never an option- just get more obedience to vpw. Later, the corps were taught to enforce vpw's will across

twi, and they got formal training-in SALES from the Dale Carnegie organization. It's obvious what vpw

thought was important. As for real training Christian leaders could need, there was none- nothing on

COUNSELING or anything on relating to people. People are supposed to JUMP when told to, as vpw sees it

and as he tried to teach the corps (succeeding at times.) He also had no QUALITY CONTROL as to who

joined- his only rule seems to be the one lcm HIMSELF faced-

"YOU CAN STAY AS LONG AS YOUR MONEY HOLDS."

vpw cared about money and obedience, and the rest of the corps was filler...except when they were called

upon to do manual labor around the farm. The students not only worked for FREE, they PAID TUITION to work

around the farm. Did vpw know how to work a scam or what?

====================

I forgot to mention-

just as he kid their existence by numbering others "the FIRST" who came later,

twi followed that example and hid the others who came later.

After EVERYONE from the "FIRST" (second, after the "zero" corps) all left twi,

twi had none left to show.

So, they went around to all the old-timers who were never corps, and said

"congratulations- you are now the First Corps" and claimed they had "First Corps"

around twi still. When it comes to twi, vpw established that lying was just fine

as long as you don't get caught, and that's still policy at twi.

WW, I don't think VPW would have made it through Boot Camp.  Boot Camp was hard!!!  You are forced to do a lot of things, you really don't want to do.  Other people call the shots; you do as you are told, when you are told to do it.  It was a lot of work; VPW was lazy. He wouldn't never have made it through the first week of Boot Camp.

On 8/20/2011 at 10:08 AM, penworks said:

Dear DWBH,

You are the Dude! Your memory is photographic or something!!! I often think of your interview posted here at GSC and tell people to listen to it!

You mentioned the women at the ECU Way Home. Before the guys I mentioned above moved in the ECU Way Home with JAL, there were a couple of women living there with J*hn and M*ry S*mmerville. One was M*rcia Faul* who later married B*ll Gr*en and ran the Corps at HQ.

While we're naming names for historical records, J. S*mmerville works (or at least a couple of years ago he did) as a tour guide for Israel trips sponsored by John Hagee Ministries. I've watched Hagee on T.V. He is the closest clone of VP I've seen. Sorry JAL, you didn't make the cut . :anim-smile:

Cheers!

Penworks, OMG!!  I thought I was the only one who thought JH was a VPW clone!! Really, I saw JH a few times on his show, and thought he was similar to VPW.  Quite frankly, I heard VPW teach live several times, and thought he was boring as Hell!  I know others thought he was a great teacher, but I didn't.  I think JH is a Dirt Bag, but others think he is great.  Personally, as long as I don't have to watch his show, other people can watch him as often as they like.  Like VPW, he always has his hands out for money.