GreaseSpot Cafe

Evidence: Letters VPW wrote to the Way Corps

penworks

What interests me is how people can or cannot change, how willing people are (or not) to adapt to a changing situation. Nothing is permanent. Everything changes. This is a fact of life known since the beginning of time.

(SNIP)

... Over time I changed my mind after I gained new information. I woke up. Life is a journey.

Some people change when they learn new information, new facts, have experiences that show them the error of their ways or that something better for them awaits.

I suspect that it is hard for others not to change when new facts and understanding comes to them is because there is some kind of payoff for holding onto the old view. Or they fear what will happen if they change. i.e. they might look bad in other people's eyes.

Let's celebrate the fact we can change, learn, grow and not be ashamed of the process.

(SNIP)

(SNIP)...When one is 5 years old, parents and other adults give information and instructions. As one ages, that information and instruction may change. And as the information and instruction changes, it ought to change the shape of each individual. The five year old gains understanding and wisdom. Becomes able to make its own decisions, give itself "instructions." That growing and ability to make decisions is called maturity but does it have a finite point? We know only in part - and that will remain so all our lives. And so we are never fully mature, all our lives. Just more mature than we were a few years earlier (perhaps).

Do you still believe and act as you did when you were five years old? Few adults do.

If you went to tertiary education or professional training, do you still think the same as you did before? Or do you have more wisdom to make decisions? Are you better able to foresee possible outcomes?

Yes, you changed! You don't think as you did, when you were a child.

Have crises affected your life - maybe the death of a loved one with whom you'd been very close?

Maybe a severe accident (they're not called "life-changing injuries" for nothing!)?

Yes, you changed! You learned to adapt to the new circumstances.

Your underlying personality probably never changes; it's how you express that personality. And what you take into account. What you allow to affect you. How you deal with things.

We are not set in stone. We are not required to have hearts of stone - in fact, quite the opposite.

We are required to change - to be transformed - to become different people. And yet, remain true to ourselves. And to our God (if we have one!).

We should embrace the opportunity to grow and change. It's exciting.

Thanks for that great post, Twinky – and thanks again to Penworks!

Hope this isn't too far off topic – but I've been mulling over Penworks' and Twinky's posts – and the dramatic changes that happened in my perspective after leaving TWI. I mentioned that on another thread – after gaining new information from others and what I was able to gather on my own – my attitude towards VP, PFAL, and TWI did a 180.

It was a little uncomfortable at first – I don't know if that's growing pains, the ache of engaging "atrophied" parts of my mind…but it's a little exciting too - maybe it's re-kindling that child-like adventurous spirit – that sounds kinda hokey but maybe it's the precursor – I'm growing up to the next phase of my life. Twinky's reference to how a child grows is sort of inspirational in my opinion; maybe growth at any age is re-kindling that child-like adaptability….

Growth implies change – yeah, it may have been triggered by some change in your circumstances, health, etc. but does change always mean that we'll grow from it? I dunno – maybe so – if you can look back on how you responded to a crisis or a long drawn out season of hard times - even if it was a bad response on your part - - before you beat yourself up too much – consider the fact that you're still willing to continue on life's journey. That's growth - - you've at least grown in courage and hopefully gained some wisdom in decision making.

I'm thinking there's two ways a person can change - adapt or conform. Is conform the cheap knock off of adapt? I don't know. They may both be a means to change or adjust –but I think the actual process of each is different. Maybe there's some mode switch in our heads. When I switched to the conform mode (and that's the only mode that's acceptable in the way corps program) there was a lot of strenuous – maybe even sacrificial work on my part to whittle down the real me so I could fit in. I guess conformity could be considered the easy route because there's less thinking involved – I'm basically imitating....while also betraying my true self.

I do believe that one of the things that made my stint in the way corps program bearable were the times I would activate the adapt mode – like just hanging out with friends, messing around on the bass…exceeding the 2 drink limit (shhh……) at a little bar in Albion and dancing to The Heat is On playing on the juke box. Take it from me – someone who can't dance – that tune will MAKE you get up and move! Everyone has their own way to adapt. Whatever works for you!

When we are switched to the adapt mode we're tapping into critical and creative thinking; we're not whittling down who we are to fit in – rather we may be adding something to who we are; re-inventing ourselves as they say….that's growth!

A rather oversimplified analogy of the practical consequences of conform versus adapt would be a blade or slot screwdriver compared to a 15-in-1 screwdriver. A slot screwdriver works in only one application – driving a slot head screw. A 15-in-1 screwdriver has the slot bit but also has 14 other types/sizes in the handle that you can switch out (Phillips, Torx, Square, etc.) – it can work in a variety of applications. The conforming process of my way corps training was designed for one application – to mold me into an exemplary TWI follower – a first rate flunky in way-world. But rote learning of things like pat answers and pet verses does not prepare us to appropriately respond and/or adapt in the real world.

Adapt means there's more than one way to skin a cat (maybe even asking why should I have to skin the cat in the first place – I'd rather have it as a pet…had one for 9 years btw). Conform means I better do it their way or else!

I do think a certain amount of conformity is necessary if we want to enjoy personal freedom; I choose to obey traffic laws and hope everyone else does too – so I can safely get home from work and binge-watch Lost on Netflix. At that point I switch to adaptive mode: set up a TV tray next to the end table, round up a drink, dinner, desert, snacks (some earmarked as treats for our dogs), smartphone, comfy back pillow, Amazon Fire Stick Voice Remote, TV Remote for volume control, pen and post-it notes for when Tonto asks me to do something (…while I'm on a break? Off break? – binge-watching is a lot of work – so it depends on how you look at it). That should get me "tooled-up" for enduring hours on end of getting lost in Lost.

I have adapted to "civilian" life so well!

I will be reviewing the content of this thread and deleting offending posts. There will be no further action at this time, but guys, come on. Is it that hard to stay on topic?

I've finished reviewing this thread, and I tried to take as light an approach as I could. Fixed a few obvious grammatical errors (people sow discord, they don't sew it. I suppose they can sew with this cord, but that's not the same thing).

But I deleted several posts where the namecalling got out of hand. I tried to be reeeeal flexible about "on topic" v. "off topic" posts. As long as the conversation is flowing naturally and no one objects, I'm not about to go from thread to thread approving or unapproving posts on that basis. I'd be here 24/7. I don't like you guys THAT much.

There are a lot of good posts on this thread in which people disagree with johniam vehemently without making the post about HIM (short quips notwithstanding).

I made some ease-of-reading edits (John, is it too much to ask you to figure out how the "quote" function works. I mean, you have been here at least, what is it, 4 weeks now? Oh, LONGER? You see my point. If you need a tutorial, PM me).

I tried to put notes on the bottom of posts I edited significantly or that I felt required a mod statement.

Now, let's make one more thing really clear:

Everyone is welcome to post here.

If you think VPW was the greatest apostle since Paul, you may post here.

If you think VPW was the greatest con man since Prof. Harold Hill, you may post here.

If you think someone is too harsh in judging VPW, you may say so.

If you think someone is too gullible in praising VPW, you may say so.

But anyone can do any of that without resorting to juvenile namecalling. And I will delete, without warning, any post that crosses the line. I tried to do that in a fair manner. I think I did that in a way that does not break up the flow of this thread. The fact that I could do so (if I succeeded) is a strong indication of how off-topic those posts were.

Carry on.

I've finished reviewing this thread, and I tried to take as light an approach as I could. Fixed a few obvious grammatical errors (people sow discord, they don't sew it. I suppose they can sew with this cord, but that's not the same thing).

But I deleted several posts where the namecalling got out of hand.

Thanks, modcat. Makes a much better read now. And won't put off newbies/lurkers.

Either way, her post seems to be a thread killer. I think this thread is a good thread.....informative, good give and take, and not offensive to anyone but an "uptight few". Why should ANYONE's personal preferences dictate the posting "style" of any other member?? I think that is overbearing to ALL posters here. To stifle factual content because of personal linguistic preferences

is immature, self-centered, and rude. Just my opinion. To hijack a thread from it's topic in order to just "get your way" about how things are to be said according to your personal prejudices is condescendingly arrogant censorship. You Brits know better!

I met Twinky in 2007 at the GSC Texas BBQ at Jeff and Theresa Petrosky's home in TX. I enjoyed meeting her and very much enjoyed the entire BBQ! I met NotFromKansasAnymore, Tonto & T-Bone, Tom Strange, Doojable, George St. George, Ex10, and a number of other old friends. They were all there while I posted a few posts on that "IS THE CRISIS OVER" CES thread. We all had a fabulous time. I know that there are reasons for friction because of certain people's public and written support for jallyroll Lynn's fraudulent, self-serving, anti(against)-Christ "minus-tray". I am bound by my agreement to pastoral confidentiality not to say any more, and I will not. But, Twinky, you're just incorrect on this IMO. As a former Barrister, I expected more objectivity from you. But, I certainly understand the power and necessity of close friendships. It's family by choice. However, personal friendships do not determine facts or truth. Those things need to be dealt with by every individual human conscience. Just my opinions.

Hopefully, this thread may continue in the informative, debate style it has been. Personal preference should not determine one's freedom to post free from censorship. I certainly invite any relevant discussion to this thread. If the Mods think it better to take it the the Open subforum thread on decorum, so be it. If not, then I look forward to any and all replies............peace.

• Upvote 1

It's easy to keep this thread going, if at least one person wants to.

Personally, when I get some time (if I get some time),

I'm interested in reviewing some individual letters and their contents.

That's just one obvious way to keep it going while being on-topic,

I'm sure there's a number of other ways to do that.

I'm not a thread killer, DWBH. But the calm, more measured, objective, style often reaches people more than a rant does. You only have to read VPW's letters for rants, and think of the face-meltings many here endured. Imitating his style...isn't a good look, IMO. Can't we be objective, not objectionable?

Jesus called the Pharisees "nests of vipers" but he is kind to those who want to listen (including Pharisees). He did not mock people's names. He called them on their attitudes and (lack of) love for God. He did not attack anyone who loves God, even when they are in error. If he screamed at his followers in the behavior that has been modeled for us by some leaders - d'ya think he would have any followers? Wouldn't he be a "thread killer"? (A "red thread" killer, maybe.) But that's not how he behaved. And it's not what befits any other Christian leader, of any organization - or cult.

I appreciate your opinions Twinky. I do not agree. And, NOBODY thinks I'm Jesus or that I ever could be. Thankfully, HE loved sinners, hung out with them and "publicans", and called them unto Himself. I'm one of those, aren't you?

Whoever reads or lurks here can think and post whatever they want. By their fruit shall ye know them. I happen to feel responsible to confront the Pharisees who inhabited and still run TWIt or any of the little splinter cults. I do so by factually and sometimes graphically describing their fruit in the lives of their followers and their "leaders" past and current. I will continue to do so until they repent and make restitution to those whose lives they destroyed and sometimes even took, according to the words of the Lord Himself as recorded in Matt 18. Until then, I promise you, I will never shut up or change my style. These lying, self-serving pigs have been doing their mud-slopping for 30 years now. They're still doing it. I will continue calling them out until I take my last breath or they do.

If you are serious about comparing my "rants", as YOU term them, with dictor paul's "face melting", neck-vein popping, spittle splattering, drunken "doctrine, reproof, and correction", or da forehead's even more bizarre psychotic breaks, then maybe you must have never really experienced a real one. Was your life "put together" by being in da corpse? How much did their "Christ-like ministering" do for you? How much like Christ were they? How calm were they? Serial rape and sexual assault, rabid homophobia, flaming neo-Nazi hatespeech, and you want me to not "call them names"??? Sorry, but I will NOT oblige you or them. Call me stubborn, call me vulgar, call me rude or disrespectful, or off-putting to all those lurkers and readers who YOU tell me are so intimidated or offended or scared of the big, bad, DWBH. Think of me and call me whatever YOU want. I simply don't care.

As I've posted before, often.....I enjoy your posts, perspectives, and how you and your churches in England really do help people as Jesus taught.

However, I will leave the editing and censorship to the Mods and Admins. Your's are just way to "proper" for me. Just another American rebellious freedom lover who has chosen never to be "ruled" by anyone other than Jesus Christ. Love to you and your's, and............peace.

• Upvote 1

April 25, 1979

Continuously I endeavor to do my utmost for God to you my Corps. I always think of you as "my Corps" knowing full well that only God called you.

Translation: VPW is mediator between God and Corps. If you're lucky enough to be Corps. God gave you to VPW. I'm not really sure, this seams forced.

But I'm sure many can only see the LOVE in these statements.

Each one of these letters could be a thread of its own.

Spring 1982.

Isn't this whole letter VPW saying if you're not CORPS, you ain't worth a damn? This is an attitude that was always present, but rarely articulated, in TWI. People will deny it, but here it is?

Each one of these letters could be a thread of its own.

Spring 1982.

Isn't this whole letter VPW saying if you're not CORPS, you ain't worth a damn? This is an attitude that was always present, but rarely articulated, in TWI. People will deny it, but here it is?

I guess so. To me it just reads like a bunch of platitudes strung together with some guilt motivation sprinkled in.

To TLC, TWIt'n'vic apologist extraordinnaire:

YOU define nothing about me, most especially my "mission statement".

Here it is from the horse's mouth instead of your's located at the other end of the horse:

"I will continue to do so until they repent and make restitution to those whose lives they destroyed and sometimes even took, according to the words of the Lord Himself as recorded in Matt 18. Until then, I promise you, I will never shut up or change my style. These lying, self-serving pigs have been doing their mud-slopping for 30 years now. They're still doing it. I will continue calling them out until I take my last breath or they do."

Feel free to return to the topic everyone. I apologize for the brief detour.

Yeah. Pretty much. I read these and I'm just so over this guy. I miss the LCM letters to the Corps. He was WAY crazier.

We need to build bombs. MORE bombs. BIGGER bombs. Bunch of dumb-dumb ignoramuses. It's THE WORD

Ah, LCM, he gave an inner voice to those who had none.