GreaseSpot Cafe

New TWI Website

Abigail

Mike, my answer was to the question...

"Does this mean the WayGB can tell the names of anyone who has visited the site?"

The answer is "No".

I thought I stated my answer pretty well. It's obvious that if you are in a REAL small town, and someone at HQ knows you and where you live that they could make assumptions. That wasn't the question asked, however.

As far as static ip's go, any provider can give you a static ip address, usually at an additional cost. DSL and cable ip addresses can stay the same for a long time, but aren't really static as they CAN and DO change, just not often. With cable access, you usually have to subscribe to business class to get a static ip which is a lot more expensive than regular access, although you get more perks, like being guaranteed a certain amount of bandwidth.

OK, now I've really derailed the thread. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Rick

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Steve!'s defense:

I do get frustrated with LOOOOOOOOOOONNNGGG posts that have nothing at ALL to do with the topic and are obvious sales pitches.

My solution? Skip over 'em. Call me lazy but I have a lot of respect for folks who can just get to the point.

Personal note: After working around politicians for a while, I am VERY suspicious of anyone who takes 20 minutes to answer a question that wasn't even asked.

Hey I been over to that new way site, you know, the one this thread was about icon_wink.gif;)--> It looks decent and in order, why is is everybody is afraid to use a little RED or PURPLE on their websites much? Just that boring GREEN icon_confused.gif:confused:--> life is sooo UNFAIR!!

No not really, the site looked quite nice and I am sure it is a friendly place for folks to visit and be blessed and to chat and be blessed or any number of other things and be blessed.

I'd love to just watch the site and see what happens, call it a sociological experiment or sumthing, personality cult (minus personality) meets the 21st century, should be fun icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

quote:
Mike, my answer was to the question...

"Does this mean the WayGB can tell the names of anyone who has visited the site?"

The answer is "No".

I thought I stated my answer pretty well. It's obvious that if you are in a REAL small town, and someone at HQ knows you and where you live that they could make assumptions. That wasn't the question asked, however.

As far as static ip's go, any provider can give you a static ip address, usually at an additional cost. DSL and cable ip addresses can stay the same for a long time, but aren't really static as they CAN and DO change, just not often. With cable access, you usually have to subscribe to business class to get a static ip which is a lot more expensive than regular access, although you get more perks, like being guaranteed a certain amount of bandwidth.

OK, now I've really derailed the thread. Smile

One last point and caution here. There's no autonomy on the net for ordinary users. ISP's can keep logs matching dynamic IP assignments to users' real names and addresses and courts can subpeona those logs. Furthermore, police agencies can get court orders requiring that these logs be kept and kept secretly. As we say "security through obscurity is no security". The odds of any of this affecting you are small, but not non-existant.

Edited by jim

No, JT, you are not alone. That's part of why I didn't get involved in the water thread on the Open forum. I can't read really long posts (I have ADD, I think icon_biggrin.gif:D--> ) And I really can't stand long posts with no substance or point - but you did an excellent job of describing those, so I'll stick with your definition. icon_smile.gif:)-->

It is a nice website and I think it's better put together than TWI's own, authorized site. I wish they had had something like that when I was in. I'm sure I would have used it quite regularly.

The only thing that really strikes me as funny is that the site states that it is in now way affiliated with TWI, yet the BOD have to give approval for it and closely monitor the site, knowing darn well that they do control the site and the content through their "suggestions".

quote:
Originally posted by Galen:

Steve!:

"Great, yet another thread infected by smikeol trying to promulgate his sewage."

Man that is harsh.

:-(

No need to be nasty to the man.

Maybe so, but sometimes harshness is called for. he does not know how to take a hint, refuses to answer legitimate arguments in his threads in the doctrinal forum, and routinely dismisses (in an unfriendly way) other posters that disagree with him - which is almost 100% of g-spotters.

he has co-opted several threads in other forums to promote his spewth, and deserves no quarter.

Oh, I don't know about "no quarter"....

I think idolatrous errors can be exposed with some decorum.

I think we've done so in the past, and can do so again in the

present and future. We have class, we have couth. No need to

carry on as couthless cads, is there? I've got extra couth here

if you need me to e-mail you some or something. I got it off

e-bay.

icon_wink.gif;)-->

THERE IS NO LIVING HUMAN that can do a better:

FATHER ABRAHAM than MRS ALFAKAT.

Alfie, please ask her to do it in my honor. If you didn't know my true identity...this should clue in your wifey. Just tell her it is that girl from the east bay that DEMANDED she do at least one rendition at each and every apprentice corps weekend!....and then, each and every time I saw her afterward. icon_eek.gif I was a friend of your sisters Alfie.....that should help.

Love & Kisses...and wishes that I was there for some genuine sour dough and gallileo salami!!!

ror

After I posted the information about IP addresses, someone contacted me via Private Messages. The person told me that they had sent a letter to HQ about doctrinal errors at one time. The letter was sent anonymously but this person used the Pitney-Bowes machine at work to send it. PB machines have a unique code for each customer which is supposed to be confidential. The "powers that be" at HQ somehow managed to use that information to trace it back to the the sender's place of employment. There is no way they could have done so legally without a court order, so it would seem the information was obtained in an illegal manner. So I guess this is one example that shows that they WILL use any means necessary, legal or not, if they want to find information about someone.

The person who shared this information with me has asked me not to associate thier name with this, and I will respect that wish. But I thought this was something that should be posted for everone's benefit. If you have any questions, post them here and I will see if the person this happend to will give me answers to post via private topic.

Rick